Author Topic: Help with origins of Samuel WEBBER bc 1796 Curry Rivell  (Read 823 times)

Offline jtpoutdoor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with origins of Samuel WEBBER bc 1796 Curry Rivell
« on: Wednesday 06 June 18 07:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Seriously stuck with my ggggf Samuel Webber.

In 1841 Samuel with wife "Mary" , son Samuel and daughter "Mary are living in Yeoman's Row Brompton Kensington. He is shown as 45 born  occ gardener. She is 40 - Samuel jn 10 "Mary" 5 all shown as "born in county". Daughter Elizabeth 17 is working as a servant in Brompton Crescent nearby.

In 1851 the family are living in Smith Street Chelsea, He is 55 and is now born in Curry Rivell Somerset, wife "Maria" 50 born Dorsetshire, daughter "Maria" 16 b Kensington. Elizabeth is married to Edward Pearson and living in Rotherhithe.

In 1861 Samuel and Mariann (her actual name) are not to be found- I have checked the microfilm and there are huge sections of Chelsea missing and unfortunately the couple must be in one of the missing pieces. However daughter Marian and her husband William Wildy are present. Elizabeth is now in Australia and is out of the picture.

In 1871 Samuel now widowed is living with Marian and William Wildy- his age has gained four years and place of birth is given as Kensington. He died at the Chelsea workhouse infirmary in 1874 age given matches the 1871 but not the earlier census. He appears in admissions entries for the workhouse in 1872.

My problem is that I am entirely unable to find a baptism for him in Curry Rivell. Some years ago I did find another Webber in Middlesex (James  from memory ) who also gave his PoB as Curry Rivell but does not appear in the baptisms for the one family that were living there at that time (William and Hannah).

I have found a number of baptisms in Somerset for Samuel's at around about the right time but not in Curry Rivell- the handwriting in the 1851 census is quite clear. As he was living with his son in law in 1871 I am sure that the details given then are incorrect as opposed to his consistency with his age in earlier census, I have only the one reference to PoB as Curry Rivell but I have no reason to disbelieve Samuel's entry in 1851.

Can anyone suggest somewhere near Curry Rivell that might be a likely place to look for a baptism? Non conformist chapels? villages close by- I have looked on google maps at the nearby villages but haven;t found Samuels bp there and feel it needs a local outlook.

I also don't have a marriage for him to Marian. She was from Dorset so I'm guessing a marriage in the Somerset/Dorset area rather than in London. Their first known child was my gggm Elizabeth born in 1825 (apparently in Brompton, Middlesex- I have not been able to confirm this with a baptism record) . The couple baptised a George Samuel in 1827, son Samuel junior seems to have a different birth date in every census that I have found him in- he is extremely difficult to find - he was in Fulham in 1851 and in Hospital in Fulham in 1901- he died in 1902- luckily he gave his full address of place of birth (Yeomans Row Brompton) in the 1901 census allowing me to track the family in 1841 (this was in pre online index days!)

Samuel senior was a "gardener" (non domestic) and through to the 1840's Yeoman's row was surrounded by orchards and market gardens- a suitable place for someone from agricultural Somerset to find work.

Any suggestions gladly welcomed- I have copies of the relevant seeming baptisms from findmypast- but are there any others not online there that someone knows about?

Thanks
Jane

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with origins of Samuel WEBBER bc 1796 Curry Rivell
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Jane
There is a death for Samuel Webber at Chelsea June 1875 age 84
It looks like Mary may have  died at Chelsea Dec 1858 as Mary Webbe age 66.

Ciderdrinker

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 12:29 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this is connected or not but there is a marriage in Curry Rivel 19 November 1789 for a William Webber to Ann Moore.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline jtpoutdoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi ,
yes the Samuel in 1875 is him (got my year wrong) he should have been 80 not 84 according to how old he said he was- s in law William probably added a few years ;-)
I have also found the marriage for William and Ann Moore- and baptisms at Curry Rivell for a whole load of children- but not one of them is a Samuel. It's where might be a likely place NEAR to Curry Rivell that he could have been baptised - including non con chapels I'm after, he could still have been brought up there but he wasn't baptised there.
I think I have found the death of Marian under that name- just need to go back and find it again- FreeBMD is soo fussy about getting spellings right and her name lends itself to a lot of misspelling (as the census prove) so she's on hold.
Samuel was buried at the "Necopolis", many years ago someone even found me the plot number- but that is stored on the hard drive of a defunct computer :-(
Thanks for your efforts folks