Author Topic: Population of villages in Northumberland  (Read 1139 times)

Offline meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Population of villages in Northumberland
« on: Wednesday 06 June 18 08:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm doing some transcriptions from the 17C/18C and there are many names that are frequent.

Just to make it more interesting I wonder if there is anywhere where populations might be listed for some of the following please:

Flodden, Ford, Heathersland, Crookham.

Thanks
Meegan

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Population of villages in Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 September 19 11:01 BST (UK) »
I think you are going to be struggling to find a single source that would give you village population statistics before the start of census taking. Estate records might be helpful in some cases. The Visionofbritain website has some population information, but that tends to be 19th Century. Genuki might get you a little bit further back. It gives the population of Ford in 1801 as 1903.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 September 19 13:10 BST (UK) »
An Historical, and Descriptive View of the County of Northumberland, by Mackenzie 1825 has Poor Law information and lists by Parish and Ward throughout the whole of Northumberland! Well worth a look if ever you get chance to see the book, or perhaps get to see a digital copy of it.

In 1821

Branxton (Flodden, I think) had 47 inhabited houses and population 253.

Ford 352 inhabited houses and population 1807, which might well include Crookham and Etal.

I wonder if your Heathersland was Heatherslaw? Again part of Ford & Etal.

Not always easy matching up modern locations and places with old maps and lists.

How is your work going?

P

Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 September 19 13:14 BST (UK) »
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NBL/Ford

Try the Genuki site and look at each place , link to Ford as an example above .
Sorry craclyn hadn't spotted you'd used ford as an example too!
North East of England

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 September 19 16:17 BST (UK) »
No problem Candleflame. I should have put in the link to Ford too  :)
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 September 19 23:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you all. I like to learn a little about the places I'm transcribing - makes the names a bit more personal
Cheers
Meegan