Author Topic: Ysearch.org and FamilyTreeDNA.com and the new EU GDPR rules  (Read 4911 times)

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Ysearch.org and FamilyTreeDNA.com and the new EU GDPR rules
« on: Wednesday 06 June 18 17:17 BST (UK) »
I had previously input my test results manually into Ysearch, the free, public genetic-genealogy database, but it is no longer accessible as a result of the new EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on May 25th 2018.

http://www.ysearch.org/

When visiting their website it says "We encourage you to continue your journey of discovery with us on FamilyTreeDNA.com, and we thank you for your participation in citizen science over the years."  But you cannot manually input your test results from another company into FamilyTreeDNA.com.

I am told that FamilyTreeDNA.com has started blocking access to its tools for comparison to test results.

I do not understand why FTDNA has not asked its customers if their results can remain accessible for comparison with other customers.  Methinks their marketing people have gone beserk!

I am not aware of an alternative website to the former Ysearch.org.

Comparison of test results is the whole point of taking a test!

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ysearch.org and FamilyTreeDNA.com and the new EU GDPR rules
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 18:50 BST (UK) »
I am told that FamilyTreeDNA.com has started blocking access to its tools for comparison to test results.

Not heard that before.

Anyway there is a forum on ftDNA and I think you would be better asking your question there as questions are answered by ftDNA staff and knowledgeable users.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 June 18 10:02 BST (UK) »
The site was started by ftDNA (also the mtDNA one  which has  closed too) it had not been maintained for a long time but you could still add your Y data,and check it against others,the general feeling is that GDPR gave them an excuse to close it down!!

The other site that has closed due to GDPR is "WorldWide Families"

Kim

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 June 18 10:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Kimbrey

Very sad that the free comparison sites have disappeared.  These big corporations do as they like and it does not help Surname Group Administrators who have the thankless task of trying to persuade people to take tests, (acting as unpaid salespeople!), and to compare results of different tests.  FTDNA have altered the way group administrators can access results of group members and admins now have to resort to asking some members to permit access by the group project.  Ancestry dropped Y-chromosome tests a long time ago, and all of the existing test results were deleted.  Dumb ass corporations!