Author Topic: Trying to find  (Read 1676 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 June 18 14:10 BST (UK) »
The dates are from the medal card of 2219 Sapper Alfred G Harris.  The South Midland
 Field Companies were originally formed in Gloucestershire**.  2/1st, which became 477 Field Company, went overseas on 6 Jun 1915 with 48 Division (not 61 as I put earlier - a mis-read).
They served in France until end October 1917 when they went to Italy where they stayed for the remainder of the war.  He was promoted to 2nd Corporal (a unique RE rank) at some time.
There is a war diary for the Jun 15 to Oct 17 period although it would be highly unusual to find him named.  http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354595
Unfortunately no sign of a service record.

MaxD

** Don't read too much into that, the associations with localities played no real part in deciding a man's unit except in the obvious case of "Pals" infantry units mostly. (For the pedants - this is a simplification to divert attention from my citing of the origins of the unit.)
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 June 18 20:00 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the National Archives ? I have just 'found' my grandfather
 who was also a Sapper with the Royal Engineers in WW1.
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)