Author Topic: Newspaper report of an inquest 1926 - Shklovsky  (Read 1794 times)

Offline AlysonS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Newspaper report of an inquest 1926 - Shklovsky
« on: Thursday 07 June 18 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have grown up with a story from my Dad's side of the family about one brother watching another brother burn to death, possibly after being left alone in a flat, possibly in Paris. All was very vague and I had no idea who these brothers were or how we were related.
Now, 4 years after my Father's death, I happened upon information about his Aunt (the black sheep) pointing me to look in London for her. It had been suggested that she had married a Russian and I was able to find the records of the marriage and the births of 3 children, Brian, Peter and Pauline. Also the record of death of Peter aged 3 in Hatfield district.

I have now received the death certificate and it shows that he died in Welwyn Garden City on 30th June 1926 and an inquest was held the following day.

The cause of death was shock to the system from burns which seems to support the dying in a fire story although not Paris and looking at photos of the road it looks like it was a house not a flat.

I am aware that the inquest record has probably been destroyed and have tried searching for a newspaper report with no success.

If anyone can help me with this or has any information about the Shklovsky family I would love to hear from you.

(I did post some of this originally in Herefordshire by mistake).

Alyson

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper report of an inquest 1926 - Shklovsky
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 June 18 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Alyson,

Like you I have been unable to find a newspaper article for Peter's death. However this would appear to be his burial (which you may already have) -

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/156508975

JJ

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 June 18 21:01 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the relevant newspapers have yet to be online?  When I selected July 1926 and then went to choose Hertfordshire there were none at all.  (Usuing FindMyPast)

Offline AlysonS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 June 18 21:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info. I hadn't seen the burial info. Interesting that it took place on my Dad's 3rd birthday.

Seem to have come to another brick wall at the moment but at least I am further on than a few weeks ago and I can see some truth in the story. I just hope there is a descendant of Brian or Pauline that I can make contact with who might have some information.

I will keep trying.
Alyso

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 June 18 22:17 BST (UK) »
The best place to track down local newspapers is usually the local studies library for the appropriate county.

A surname search for SHKLOVSKY at Hertfordshire Names Online (managed by Hertfordshire Archives) shows that a report of the inquest was published in the Welwyn Garden City News on 2 July.

https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/ufs/ufsmain?ebz=3_1528405946294&ebd=0

Title: Terrible accident in Valley Road : Child dies from burns playing with matches
Source: Welwyn Garden City News page 5
Publication date: 02/07/1926
Subjects: Accidents
Places: Welwyn Garden City
Personal names: Peter Shklovsky; Dr Furnivall

You can order a copy of this report online from the above webpage, or perhaps someone visiting Hertfordshire Archives could get a printout for you?

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 June 18 22:18 BST (UK) »
Is that the father George E Shklovsky dob 20 Jan 1897 in Tavistock square in 1939?

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 June 18 22:22 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage -  Brian V Shklovsky to Dorothy A Newman  Brentford 1944

Offline AlysonS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 June 18 18:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this info. The father was George E Shklovsky. I have also found a possible marriage for the brother Brian. Nothing for the sister Pauline after her birth. I believe she was the only on my Father actually met.

My next step is to order the report. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Alyson

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 June 18 21:25 BST (UK) »
In that case, did they divorce/ separate?

I’m sure you’ve looked at all this but..

I don’t see Janet/Janet in 1939 (Pauline likely to be blacked out in the register)
 george E looks to have remarried in 1947 and died in 1951.  Janet married Edwin A Thorpe in 1954.  I looked to see if she was going by Thorpe or her maiden name in 1939

Do you have an exact date of birth for her to make searching a bit more focused?