Author Topic: Lochmaben Cemetery MIA Name  (Read 9472 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Lochmaben Cemetery MIA Name
« Reply #36 on: Monday 11 June 18 16:39 BST (UK) »
I've had a look through a few of these although not all but there's no mention of Robert Ruther(s)ford in New Lochmaben Cemetery.

http://www.johnmacmillan.co.uk/indx_cemetery.html

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
The following relates to the loss of the aircraft in which Rutherford was a crew member:

https://thameremembers.org/Crosses/sergeant-henry-william-little/

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 13:03 BST (UK) »
Robert Ruthersford sonf of John and Margaret Stirling. Robert, SECT. W/O. A. G. reported missing in middle east 22nd March 1943. Aged 35 years.

We have followed Robert and his wife Isabella for a few generations but without accessing the Palestine Police Force Nominal Roll, it’s a guessing game.

I'm unsure as to what you mean by "it’s a guessing game" but what I am sure of is, it seems we have been been misinformed on this thread?

We seem to have gone from not knowing the name i.e. forename & surname to "We have followed Robert and his wife Isabella for a few generations".

Some of us have spent a lot of valuable time on this request only to discover some/most/all of our work was already known?

It would be much appreciated if either Mairi or Smith.hx could let us know if any of our research was of any help?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Smith.hx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 15:33 BST (UK) »
We started our research after my father died. His family has always been a family with many secrets - his father’s name was one of them.  We had a file from a visit to Lochmaben cemetery but it was old and much of the information was corrupt and thus not accessible. Thus we had a possible name and the fact he was in the Palestine Police Force and we believe later with the RAFVR and was reported missing in action. We knew this information but not a name or anything about his family. With the help of this and other sites, and wading through fragments of corrupt files, we believe his name was Robert Rutherford. I went though the online was memorial site and searched names, birth date and date of aircraft accident and cross referenced it with other sources. We then found his wife’s name and located two other generations of his family and one other generation of her family. However, there is nothing definitively linking Robert Rutherford to my father. So it’s still a guessing game. Sorry if you feel we misled you but we’ve made use of the information and sites suggested and have found information we haven’t found prior to know.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 16:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your explanation (much appreciated) which wasn't clear in the previous posts.

Let's go back to your father & what info. he gave?

Did he tell you his father was in the Palestine Police although he didn't know his name?

Little seeds of info. can lead to so much more i.e. anything at all which was mentioned by your father would be appreciated.

There must have been something mentioned at some time although it's unclear as to why there was secrecy?

An occupation such as 'Police' would be something very much enforced when speaking of the paternity of an illegitimate child (I would think)?

Is there anything else which points to the above?

Annie

Offline Smith.hx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 16:32 BST (UK) »
My father never spoke to us about his father.  What we know, we know from brief conversations with family members.  As to why such a family secret - one of life’s mysteries. We are going to Scotland to look at the nominal Roll of the Palestine police force and back to the cemetery in Lochmaben to do some onsite research

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 16:46 BST (UK) »
What we know, we know from brief conversations with family members.

That's a start, can you give any of the info, from those conversations as each little thread does help?

I just want to be sure if we are following the correct person or not which is all dependant on what info. (no matter how little) you can throw into the pot?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 16:52 BST (UK) »
What surprises me is your g g/mother did not (or maybe she did) persue a paternity/maintenance claim for her son if his father had such a good position as I believe the 'Forces' were pretty strict with maintenance/alimony issues?

Annie

Offline mojoh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 18 August 18 21:59 BST (UK) »
My grandad’s name was Robert Rutherford. I note there is a lot of interest regarding him.