Author Topic: Lochmaben Cemetery MIA Name  (Read 9469 times)

Offline Mairi Coyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Lochmaben Cemetery MIA Name
« on: Friday 08 June 18 03:25 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I have a slightly strange request so thank you for bearing with me. I am looking for a name off a grave in Lochmaben cemetary. It’s my great grandfather. I was there at his grave as a small child, but am unsure of his name. My grandfather has since died and no one in the family knows the name any more so we are desperate to find it out.

We think the first name is probably Robert or Alan.
We believe other family members are buried nearby (also possibly a Robert or Alan).
The inscription on the grave is quite specific, it says he was a member of the Palestine Police and then the British military (I want to say RAF but may be wrong), and went missing in action. We think the year was 1941, but could be off by a couple of years.
Possibly born around or before 1910.

I know this is a long shot and an odd one but if anyone knows anything that might help I would so appreciate it.

Thank you!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Lochmaben Cemetery MIA Name
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 June 18 04:36 BST (UK) »
Can you help us with which side of your family, maternal/paternal?

What is the name of your g/dad who's now deceased, when/where did he die?

What relationship is your g/dad to your g g/dad, is he the son or son-in-law?

Please post as much details as is known for further help.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Mairi Coyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 June 18 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

Thanks for your reply!

It’s the maternal side of my family.

My grandfather, Alan Graham Smith, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, and died in 2017 in Melvern Square, NS, Canada. He emigrated to Canada in the late 40s, from Mouswald where he lived.

He was the illegitimate son of Janet Graham Smith and our mystery man. Janet Smith lived in Lochmaben. Her parents were James Graham Smith and Mary Jane McMinn, and her siblings were Jean, Graham, and Robert Swan.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 June 18 18:14 BST (UK) »
I see the father wasn't present at registration which makes things a bit trickier!

There's 3 listed for 1940s but neither has a forename similar to names you have?

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead/results/?cemetery=LOCHMABEN%20CEMETERY

This one looks a possible as his parents are noted as 'of Glasgow'?

Private HENDERSON, GORDON MILLER
Service Number 3065085
Died 02/01/1942
Aged 19
70th Bn. Royal Scots

Son of George and Marian Henderson, of Glasgow; grandson of Mrs. G. Henderson, of Glasgow

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Mairi Coyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 June 18 19:17 BST (UK) »
It’s definitely possible that we are wrong about the forename, but the age isn’t right either as my grandfather was born in 1929 and Mystery Man had already I believe been in the Palestine Police before the war so he couldn’t have been so young. 

Is it possible it wasn’t listed as a war grave because there was no body? The stone may have been put up later.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 June 18 19:54 BST (UK) »
Is it possible it wasn’t listed as a war grave because there was no body? The stone may have been put up later.

I'm a bit confused because I interpreted the "Cemetery or memorial" would have listed all war dead with & without a body  :-\

Annie

Offline Mairi Coyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 June 18 20:14 BST (UK) »
I agree that it is strange. I have looked at the list of commonwealth war graves in the cemetary. There are pictures and copies of the inscriptions available online and it isn’t one of them. I have been to the graveyard so I know his grave his there, and the inscription doesn’t match any on the commonwealth graves. I don’t know why it wouldn’t be. We also went and saw his name in the book in war memorial in Edinburgh.

Offline Smith.hx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 June 18 20:26 BST (UK) »
My sister remembers the directions to the grave marker (but not the name. Go figure) Alan G Smith was born in Gorbals in 1929 an his father had already left for the Palestine Police Force. We believe Alan G Smith’s father left the Palestine Police Force and joined the RAF (that detail may be incorrect) Janet G Smith was born in Glasgow in 1899 and died approximately 1972.  We are assuming (for the sake of research) that they were similar age. Many of the records that I have reviewed are of men much younger. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I think a road trip to Scotland is in order.

Offline Mairi Coyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 June 18 20:34 BST (UK) »
Amendment: Mum says that Mystery Man was rumoured to be considerably younger than Janet. 5-10 years.