Author Topic: Bradley - Catholic - Preston area late 1750-1850ish  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bradley - Catholic - Preston area late 1750-1850ish
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 10 June 18 04:17 BST (UK) »
After another look at Chipping on LAN OPC I've corrected and added information about St. Mary' church in my previous post.
Cowban

Offline karenandjeff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bradley - Catholic - Preston area late 1750-1850ish
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 30 October 22 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the 1767 Returns of Papists? I have the Ribchester registers which start in 1783 and have a number of Bradleys but I can't see Robert in the index. What I do know, from researching the Catholic Smiths of Ribchester, is that there were also Catholic Smiths in Clayton le Dale. The family can be seen in 1767 but have no extant Catholic baptisms. The same may be true of Robert's family. Have you asked Jim Lancaster? I would imagine you have. If you want me to pm those Bradleys in Ribchester, just say. I have looked at Catholic Bradleys in Ribchester, because one of them is a Broadley, escaped from Clayton le Moors but the others don't appear to be. C. K. from Great Harwood, whom you know, was also researching in this area, but I don't know if she has got any further. There is a longstanding family of Catholic Bradleys. In the Anglican church at Ribchester John Wharton and Jane Bradley of Dilworth were married per papist priest 11 dec 1707.
Have you found Robert as godfather to any Catholic children? That is very useful in proving relationships.
Hello Clayton,
I have found this post from 2018 and wonder if you are still able to provide details of Catholic Bradley families in Ribchester.
I am researching the same family of Edward Bradley and Elizabeth Hesmondhalgh . Who were my husbands 3 Gt grandparents .
Married in Ribchester 1773 .
My husbands direct family line is through their son Richard Bradley.
I seem unable to go any further back and have been unable so far to check the return of Papists 1767 .
Any help at all would be very much appreciated.
Thank you
Karen