Author Topic: Bradley - Catholic - Preston area late 1750-1850ish  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bradley - Catholic - Preston area late 1750-1850ish
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 June 18 19:42 BST (UK) »
Another possible child from marriage of Robert Bradly & Mary Clarkson:
Registers of Cottam 1829.
3rd May 1829 was born and next day baptised Robert BRADLY, son of Robert & Maria BRADLY (formerly Clarkson). Godparents James* & Mary Wilding*. (My translation from Latin)
This and the baptism of Mary Bradley 1834 are the only entries for Robert Bradley in the index to Fylde Registers 1 & 2.

One or more women called  Mary Bradley appeared in Cottam registers, as sponsor at baptism of Aloysia Akers, 1813 and mother at baptisms of Ann/Anna Wilding 1824 and Isabella Wilding 1827. This Mary Bradley was married to James Wilding*. Possible sponsors at Robert's baptism in 1829?  This family also turn up in Salwick & Lea register in 1830 when son James was baptised. They are "de Cottam".

Another Bradley family with children in baptism register of Salwick & Lea were John & Helen/Ellen (Hodgson). Daughters Mary/Maria  and Ann/Anna were baptised 1829 & 1830 respectively. Godparents at both baptisms were William & Elizabeth Bradley. Ann's baptism took place on 7th June, same day as Ann Edsforth, daughter of Thomas Edsforth & Alice (Haydock). Sponsors at Ann Edsforth's baptism were George & Isabella Haydock. (A sponsor at baptism of Mary Bradley in 1834 was a George Haydock.)

All information from CRS volume 15: Lancashire Registers:  Fylde 1 as in my previous 2 posts.
Cowban

Offline sbunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 June 18 23:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help, and advice, the delays is reply is because I am in Australia :)
Just posting the marriages from LanOPC, the second I am confident of, not the first.

Marriage: 17 Apr 1815 St John, Preston, Lancashire, England
Robert Bradley - Farmer, this Parish
Fanny Bolton - (X), this Parish
    Witness: Richard Bolton; George Riley
    Married by Licence by: William Towne Curate

Marriage: 16 Apr 1828 St John, Preston, Lancashire, England
Robert Bradley - (X), Widower, this Parish
Mary Clarkson - (X), Spinster, this Parish
    Witness: James Clarkson, (X); Elizabeth Blackburn, (X)
    Married by Licence by: P. Fraser Curate
    Notes: with consent of James Clarkson lawful father of Mary Clarkson

Supposed children:
James 1820
Edward 1824
---------
Robert 1830
Francis 1832
Mary 1834
Frances 1837
Mary 1838
Ann 1840
Charles 1841
John Clarkson 1842
Mary 1843
Agnes 1847
Elizabeth 1849
Anne 1852

Thanks

ADDY - Yorkshire
ATWELL - Devon
Place study Bury, Lancashire, England
https://www.facebook.com/groups/254654168295296/

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 June 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
As the Robert Bradley who married Fanny Bolton in 1815 was a farmer are there any tithe records which might have been him?
I notice that both marriages were by licence.
I've seen Fanny written as "Phanny". I assume it was short for Frances.

Mary Clarkson may have been under 21 at her marriage since it was noted that her father, James Clarkson gave his consent. So, if born 1807 or after, she may have been aged late 30s to mid 40s when youngest child Ann was born in 1852.

Children, Robert (1830) and Mary (1834) might correspond to the baptisms of Robert (Cottam 1829) and Mary (Salwick 1834). I made an error in translating register for Mary's baptism.  :-[ See edit to my post #7.  I presume that Mary and the 2nd Mary (1838) died. Were Francis (1832) and Frances (1837) a boy and a girl or the same gender?

What places of birth are given for Robert, Mary and children on 1851 census?

If Robert was living in Preston in 1810 or 1820 and was Catholic he should be on the census of Catholics in Preston. If both he and Mary Clarkson were Catholic they may have had another wedding ceremony, perhaps at St. Wilfred, Preston, or wherever Mary was from.

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 June 18 16:04 BST (UK) »
Website for Saint Wilfrid's graveyard, Preston.

www.mit-stamtrae.co.uk/st_wilfrids/st_wilfrids_preston_index.htm

There were some Bradley burials.
Cowban

Offline sbunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 June 18 03:17 BST (UK) »
Hi MaidenStone, thanks for your help
Yes the family have Fanny, Frances(female) and Francis (male).
I will look for Tithe records.
Someone had found the marriages at St Wilfred's RC as well as St John's, but with no further info.
The records for St Wilfred's are missing 1803 - 1813.
But I now have a few bits. My friend is going to order the cdrom.
The places of birth are Preston.
and thanks for the St Wilfred's burials - that is great!

The weird thing is that I have not researched Preston before, and started helping this person with their Bradley's at the same time as following 3 DNA matches to me, which have ended up with Catholic Booth's in Preston! Funny how things happen :D

cheers,
Sharon

As the Robert Bradley who married Fanny Bolton in 1815 was a farmer are there any tithe records which might have been him?
I notice that both marriages were by licence.
I've seen Fanny written as "Phanny". I assume it was short for Frances.

Mary Clarkson may have been under 21 at her marriage since it was noted that her father, James Clarkson gave his consent. So, if born 1807 or after, she may have been aged late 30s to mid 40s when youngest child Ann was born in 1852.

Children, Robert (1830) and Mary (1834) might correspond to the baptisms of Robert (Cottam 1829) and Mary (Salwick 1834). I made an error in translating register for Mary's baptism.  :-[ See edit to my post #7.  I presume that Mary and the 2nd Mary (1838) died. Were Francis (1832) and Frances (1837) a boy and a girl or the same gender?

What places of birth are given for Robert, Mary and children on 1851 census?

If Robert was living in Preston in 1810 or 1820 and was Catholic he should be on the census of Catholics in Preston. If both he and Mary Clarkson were Catholic they may have had another wedding ceremony, perhaps at St. Wilfred, Preston, or wherever Mary was from.
ADDY - Yorkshire
ATWELL - Devon

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 June 18 03:19 BST (UK) »
Was this the marriage of Robert's parents?
St. Wilfrid, Ribchester 21st Sep. 1773. Edward Bradley, labourer, parish of Chipping married Elizabeth Hesmondhalgh, spinster of parish of Ribchester.

Burials at St. Wilfrid, Ribchester of possible children of marriage:
 1777  Grace Bradley, daughter of Edward Bradley. abode Chipping.
1792 Richard Bradley, son of Edward Bradley, abode Preston.
1794 Ann Bradley, daughter of Edward Bradley, abode Preston.

Also buried at St. Wilfrid, Ribchester:
1805 Edward Bradley, abode Preston parish.
1828 Elizabeth Bradley, widow, age 70, abode Alston. Buried by: Papt. (I take it to mean that she was Catholic so there was no funeral service.)

If these were all the same family it seems Edward & Elizabeth spent the early years of their marriage in Chipping, several miles North of Ribchester, later moving to Preston.

Cowban

Offline sbunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 June 18 03:24 BST (UK) »
Yes, maidenstone,
I believe those records are the correct ones.
I have been looking for confirmation. Thanks, that's just what I needed.

Now onto my Booths, far more interesting :D - they are a mess, as there are TWO Richard Booth's born c1777 in Preston at the same time, one wife Hannah (Carter) and one wife Elizabeth ??? - they also seem to be a bit RC and rattle around the countryside including Walton le Dale, and I suspect they came from Darwen...?
will see what I can dig up - on Tithes now - for both families :D
cheers,
Sharon
ADDY - Yorkshire
ATWELL - Devon

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 June 18 04:00 BST (UK) »
Edward and Elizabeth's older children born before they moved to Preston might have been baptised at one of these churches:
Lee House, mission founded 1738. (First resident priest was imprisoned in Lancaster Castle at time of Jacobite rebellion 1745 and died there.) Lancashire Record Office has baptisms 1800-1840 and  burials 1829-1841. Closed 1991.

St. Peter & Paul, Ribchester, founded before 1783. Baptisms 1783-1805 & 1811-1844 are on LAN OPC. There were Bradley and Breadley children but none with parents Edward & Elizabeth.

Our Lady & St. Michael, Alston Lane (Longridge), founded or re-founded in 1760s.

St. Mary R.C. Church, Chipping baptisms 1780-1913 on LAN OPC.

Cowban

Offline sbunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 June 18 04:04 BST (UK) »
WOW, thanks for that!
Awesome info you have!  ;D
ADDY - Yorkshire
ATWELL - Devon