Author Topic: Bradley - Catholic - Preston area late 1750-1850ish  (Read 2496 times)

Offline sbunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Bradley - Catholic - Preston area late 1750-1850ish
« on: Friday 08 June 18 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am helping a friend.
Would anyone have access to Catholic records for Preston and surrounds please?
I am researching this family on ancestry
https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/19581427/person/29584580128/facts
Robert Bradley died 1859 age 70
supposed to the be the son Edward Bradley & Elizabeth Hesmondhalgh of Ashton
was a widow when married Mary Clarkson 1828.
I don't have any records to corroborate pre 1837.
Possible marriage to Frances Bolton 1815.
No baptisms found for any children for either of the wives.
No baptism found for Robert.
If anyone can help that would be much appreciated,
thanks,
Sharon
ADDY - Yorkshire
ATWELL - Devon
Place study Bury, Lancashire, England
https://www.facebook.com/groups/254654168295296/

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bradley - Catholic - Preston area late 1750-1850ish
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 June 18 09:26 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the LancashireOPC website ?

Offline sbunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 June 18 10:51 BST (UK) »
I have searched google, Ancestry, FindmyPast, ThGenealogist, Lancashire OPC, FamilySearch, and rootschat.
ADDY - Yorkshire
ATWELL - Devon
Place study Bury, Lancashire, England
https://www.facebook.com/groups/254654168295296/

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 June 18 14:19 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the 1767 Returns of Papists? I have the Ribchester registers which start in 1783 and have a number of Bradleys but I can't see Robert in the index. What I do know, from researching the Catholic Smiths of Ribchester, is that there were also Catholic Smiths in Clayton le Dale. The family can be seen in 1767 but have no extant Catholic baptisms. The same may be true of Robert's family. Have you asked Jim Lancaster? I would imagine you have. If you want me to pm those Bradleys in Ribchester, just say. I have looked at Catholic Bradleys in Ribchester, because one of them is a Broadley, escaped from Clayton le Moors but the others don't appear to be. C. K. from Great Harwood, whom you know, was also researching in this area, but I don't know if she has got any further. There is a longstanding family of Catholic Bradleys. In the Anglican church at Ribchester John Wharton and Jane Bradley of Dilworth were married per papist priest 11 dec 1707.
Have you found Robert as godfather to any Catholic children? That is very useful in proving relationships.
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 June 18 15:17 BST (UK) »
Possible first marriage at Preston
Robert Bradley farmer 17.4.1815 and Fanny Bolton wit Richard Bolton and George Riley by licence.

Will for an Edward Bradley farmer of Preston 1805 at Lancashire Archives,

Ciderdrinker

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 June 18 15:23 BST (UK) »

I am researching this family on ancestry
https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/19581427/person/29584580128/facts
Robert Bradley died 1859 age 70
supposed to the be the son Edward Bradley & Elizabeth Hesmondhalgh of Ashton
was a widow when married Mary Clarkson 1828.

There are a lot of entries for Hesmondhalgh on LAN OPC around Ribchester and Longridge c 1800. Are you sure the abode was Ashton? Might it be Alston, one of the settlements which became part of Longridge?

Where did the marriage to Mary Clarkson take place? A member of one of my Catholic families married a Doctor Clarkson  in Preston c1830.  One of their children was buried at  St. Wilfred's in Preston. There's a website for burials at St. Wilfred's.

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 June 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
Have you exhausted the Catholic Record Society Lancashire Registers available online on Internet Archive?
Westby, Great Eccleston, Cottam, Salwick Hall & Lea, Mowbreck Hall & Kirkham are all in one C.R.S. volume.
https://archive.org/details/lancashireregist15cath
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 June 18 17:25 BST (UK) »
Baptism at Salwick & Lea of Mary/Maria Bradley (1834),  possible child of marriage of Robert Bradley & Mary Clarkson.
Registers Salwick & Lea. 1834
"31st Jan: natae baptizataeque a femina prudente in periculo mortis die 9 Feb: suppletae sunt caeremoniae Mariae filiae Roberti Bradley et Mariae (olim Clarkson) conguam. Sponsoribus Georgio Haydock & Elizabetha Bradley ..."
Catholic Record Society volume 15 Lancashire Registers The Fylde 1 page 215 (published 1913)
https://archive.org/stream/lancashireregist15cath#page/214/mode/2up/search/Bradley

(My translation): 31st Jan:  a girl was born & baptised in danger of death. 9th Feb: additional ceremonies carried out,  Mary daughter of Robert Bradley & Mary (maiden name Clarkson), married. (See my correction below)*
Sponsors George Haydock & Elizabeth Bradley.

Edit. Index to these registers is at end of the next volume "Fylde 2:  Lytham, Garstang & Poulton".
Browsing pages 214-215 of Salwick & Lea I noticed that 8 out of the 30 baptisms involved my Moon/Hardman clan.

* Edit.  Correction to my translation for  "... baptizataeque a femina …"
 I think this translates as baptised by a woman. (Possibly midwife or female relative, friend or neighbour. A woman carrying out an emergency baptism in similar situations  was sometimes named in a baptism register.)

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 June 18 18:21 BST (UK) »
The baptism of Mary Bradley, 1834,  is from Book 4 of baptisms transcribed & published by CRS. 1st baptism in Book 4 was 1832.  There seem to have been several damaged or incomplete entries in this book. See note on page 213 at beginning of Book 4.
Book 3 of Salwick & Lea registers was a scrapbook containing baptisms and marriages. Some had no dates. I found one of my Moon baptisms in this book, separated from his brothers & sisters who were all in chronological order in a previous book.  See note on page 208. 1st dated entry for a baptism was 1771. A few entries after this was 1793 conditional baptism of James Clarkson, formerly Protestant,  so possibly an adult. (Father of the Mary Clarkson who married Robert Bradley at Preston in 1828 was James.)

Some baptisms of my Salwick family took place at Cottam.

These registers contain some  burials and a few Confirmations.

Cowban