Author Topic: Martha Steir McGuire Died 14 May 1938  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Candidiasia Ibberrson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martha Steir McGuire Died 14 May 1938
« on: Tuesday 12 June 18 15:53 BST (UK) »
This Lady is my 2nd Great Aunt, she died in Toronto, Canada

I tried to order her Will from direct gov UK for which I paid the £10 for to find out that I have applied for a copy of a resale grant.

The letter I received sates you have ordered a copy of a grant based on an entry in the probate calendar.

If a grant has issued with a former Colonial country on an approved list and there was estate in England and Wales a grant may be resealed here rather than a new application Made.  In these applications the original will is not held and copies of resealed grants are only available for fifty years.

If you require a copy of a grant that has been resealed or of the will you are advised to seek on from the Original Court where is issued.

Name Martha Stier McGuire
Death Date   14 May 1938
Death Place   Canada
Probate Date   11 Sep 1943
Registry   Toronto

Does anyone know where I can obtain this from I live in the Uk.

Regards
Candis
Wells of Yorkshire

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Steir McGuire Died 14 May 1938
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline no_car

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 04:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Candis:
Pleasantly surprised to discover your post.  Some years back I did some research on Martha Stier McGuire.  From memory, I did not get too far, though I do have some material when time permits to locate it.
The probate files you are looking for should I think be in the Archives of Ontario by now.  I am by profession an archivist (though in British Columbia).  I'm very busy at the moment, but could help you delve into this further in mid-August if you like.
Sincerely, Walter

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 05:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

In case you don't have it... Martha's obituary is in the Toronto Star newspaper, May 14, 1938 edition, page 28. 

It says she died at her residence, 257 Rusholme Road, Toronto on the morning of May 14, 1938.  She was pastor of Britten Memorial Church, 847 Dovercourt Road. Wife of Hubertus McGuire.  The service was at her church and burial was in Prospect Cemetery.

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 05:17 BST (UK) »
Toronto Star, May 25 1938, pages 2 and 32. 

H.J.L. McGuire, 85, dies.  Just 11 days after his wife, Hubertus J. L. McGuire, 85, died at his residence on Rusholme Road earlier today (so, would be the 25th).  He was president of the Britten Memorial Spiritualist Church.  Surviving are two sons Edgar and Chat.

Obit on page 32 says he was the husband of the late Martha Stier McGuire.  Father of Edgar and Chat.  Residence had been 257 Rusholme Road.  Service at their church.  Interment Prospect Cemetery.

RK

Offline no_car

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 05:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you RK for both obituaries.  Much appreciated.  I thought that Martha and her husband had died close to one another.  Walter

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 05:39 BST (UK) »
You are very welcome.  :)

RK

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Walter

This is the information that I have on Martha

Mary Bradford - Stories/Nostalgia

Finding John Henry   

When my Dad was 13 years old his father, my Grandad, lost his life fighting in the ‘Great War’. He had joined the Coldstream Guards and then volunteered for the Machine Gunners which were a body of men taken from all the guards’ regiments. Grandma was told he had been killed at Cambrai in France, on the 30th March 1918.
He was 35 years old and had four children, three sons and one daughter, (his youngest daughter, Mary, had died when she was just two years old, while he was fighting in France).

Dad talked a lot about Grandad and evidently he had been quite a character, rather a hit with the ladies but that’s another story. His father (Great Grandad Johan Heinrich Stier) was born in Germany and came to England in the 1860’s, married an English girl and had two sons and three daughters that we knew about; then  his wife died and he married a spiritualist called Martha Poole who and my dad, as a little lad, was terrified of her. Grandad wasn’t very nice to her, calling her ‘Martha the Mad Magician’ among other things.
About 1911 Great Grandad suddenly upped sticks, sold just about everything he owned, which was quite a lot, and sailed off to America taking all his family with him, apart from Grandad and his family, they had refused to go, not understanding what all the rush was for. When the war against Germany was declared in 1914, Grandad got it into his head that his father had been an undercover German spy and knew that a war was imminent which must have been the reason for rushing abroad. He had never got on very well with his father and hated his stepmother so decided that the only thing he could do was to join the British army, help win the war then he would go to America and give them both a ‘bloody good kicking’.
Dad always said Martha Poole-Stier had detested Grandad and, with her crystal ball, must have guided the shell that killed him on 30th March 1918.  We did hear later that Great Grandad moved to Canada and when he died there just after the war, Martha returned to England and tricked Grandma into signing away any rights that they had on a property in Barbican Road, York. By the time dad was old enough to do anything about it, everything was sold and she’d gone back to Canada leaving them destitute. Dad was bitter about that all his life.
This is the story of how John Henry was eventually found:
In 1998 on the 80th  anniversary of the war ending, there was a story in the Evening Press about a book in the Minster called ‘The King’s Book of Fallen Heroes’ which said that there was a paragraph, and photograph, of every York man who had died in the first world war.
We had never heard of this book and as it happened our niece, Ruth, was visiting from New Zealand for Christmas so we decided to go and have a look. When we arrived at the Minster a very nice lady in the information desk rang through to the security office and they sent a guard to find out what exactly we required. Having heard our story, he went away and returned with a large bunch of keys. We followed him into a beautiful little chapel where he opened a big glass show case. Enclosed in it was a massive book with carved wooden outer covers, it measured about four feet by three feet. Each page was in alphabetical order and held sixteen photographs of the fallen heroes. We were very emotional on reaching the S’s and there, on the top right hand corner was a photograph of Grandad and underneath was written:     
John Henry Stier: Private.
Guard’s Machine Gun Regiment.
Aged 35 Years.  Born in York. 
Last resided at   7, James Street,  York
Killed in action  30th March 1918.  On the Western Front.   
Wells of Yorkshire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 11:10 BST (UK) »
Marriage

Peel  Co., 1924

16439-24 Hubirtus John Louis McGUIRE, 71, widower, clergyman, Ontario, 503 Yonge St. in Toronto, s/o Blainey McGUIRE (b. Ireland) & Maria DUBOIS, married Martha STIER (Steer?), 55, widow, England, 257 Rusholme Rd, d/o Christopher KEMP (b. England) & Mary PRATT, witn: Ellen Marie CLAPP of 977 Bloor St. West in Toronto & Mary Jane STIER of 257 Rusholme Rd., 25 Aug 1924 at Brampton.

In between her Marriage to John Pool and Hurbirtus McGuire it appears was with a John Henry Steir.  Information obtained from Roots Chat and a lady in Cananda.  This man died in 1922 Ontario, Canada.

John Henry Steir and Martha appear on the 1901 census and it appears they might be together on the 1911 census together.  However nobody had managed to find a marriage between these two people.
Wells of Yorkshire