Author Topic: Flood Family Red Cow and Clondalkin  (Read 4333 times)

Offline pflood1978

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Flood Family Red Cow and Clondalkin
« Reply #18 on: Monday 18 June 18 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Everybody,
Thanks for all your replies and information. Sorry I've been out of action with my neck and back for the past few days.
This is the most if found out about my family. My grandfather Patrick Flood was born in Smithfield in 1907 and moved to Tipperary where he married my grandmother. My dad never knew about any of the Flood Family in Dublin until i got a genealogist to check it out about 10 years ago. This is an extract:
Griffith’s Valuation a land survey of the 1850s, recorded a Michael Flood as the lessee of large amounts of property in the parish of Clondalkin with 18 landholdings in the townland of Fox & Geese, 2 in the townland of Fox & Geese Commons, 5 in the townland of Red Cow and 4 in the townland of Yellowmeadows.  Michael leased more than 100 acres of land, a quarry, brickfields, houses and offices and was also an immediate lessor (landlord).

Michael Flood died on 26th July 1860 at Fox & Geese leaving an estate of £9000 to be administered by his son, James Flood of Jamestown, Kilmainham.  His property in Fox & Geese and Clondalkin were transferred to the occupancy of Michael and Francis Flood, likely sons of Michael.  By 1901 Michael Flood was residing in Fox & Geese with his sisters, Mary and Elizabeth.

John Flood, son of Michael Flood Senior, left his father’s estate unadministered and administration of the estate was regranted to Michael Flood, the son, on 26th January 1888.  By this time the estate had diminished to £960.

At the time of his death in 1860, Michael Flood was in possession of property valued at £9000, a not insignificant sum.  It is most likely that property of this value has left a paper trail.  I would recommend that we visit the Registry of Deeds to search for deeds of sale, mortgage and lease for Michael Flood for his property in the area of Clondalkin.  It is possible, if the property was passed from Michael’s father, that we will find a deed that will confirm Michael’s father’s name and possibly identify earlier generations of the Flood family in this area.
The Flood family were involved in the manufacture of lime, and could very well have made their fortune by supplying the building boom in Dublin City in the 19th century.  We can search for local history publications for the area of Clondalkin for mention of Michael Flood’s lime works and its significance in the local area.

I also got a registry of deeds in the research for land.
They also appeared in Thoms directory
Thom's Dublin City & Directory, 1840-60
Between ca. 1840 and his death in 1860 Thom's Directory contained several notices for Michael Flood.  The nature of these would suggest that his business activities were increasing during this period.

1843: Michael Flood, lime and sand stores, 132 Gloucester Street, Lower.

1850: Michael Flood, brick and lime burner, 131 Gloucester Street Lower, St. Doulough's & Fox & Geese. 

Lime burning was prohibited in Dublin City by the 1790s and this activity was probably carried on in Clondalkin.

1854: Michael Flood, brick and lime burner, 131 Gloucester Street Lower, St. Doulough's & Fox & Geese, Co. Dublin.

1858: Michael Flood, brick manufacturer, and lime and sand stores, 131 Gloucester Street Lower, St. Doulough's & Fox & Geese.  Mr. Michael Flood, Clondalkin. 

In the suburban directory this address given as Fox & Geese, Clondalkin.

Michael Flood and his family seemed to have lead and interesting life. When i checked out Newspaper.com Michael Flood and his family appear a lot.
It is very strange that they seem to have disappeared into history.

Offline GMcMonagle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 18 April 20 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul
Its now two years since there was a post on this on this string but I'll respond anyway.

I've done a general survey on the Flood surname in many Leinster Counties and I have information on the Fox & Geese families. I can explain the two Michaels and the various James etc. I can send you a PDF document that gives an overview of the family.

However, if your grandfather was Patrick who married Margaret Ryan in Tipperary then I don't see you being directly related to the Clondalkin Family. His father was Richard and I also have details on his pedigree.

I won't write anymore in case youve given reading this string.
Regards
Gerry

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 April 20 07:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry
              i think we got him sorted in June 2018
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=795490.0

Offline pflood1978

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 05 May 20 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul
Its now two years since there was a post on this on this string but I'll respond anyway.

I've done a general survey on the Flood surname in many Leinster Counties and I have information on the Fox & Geese families. I can explain the two Michaels and the various James etc. I can send you a PDF document that gives an overview of the family.

However, if your grandfather was Patrick who married Margaret Ryan in Tipperary then I don't see you being directly related to the Clondalkin Family. His father was Richard and I also have details on his pedigree.

I won't write anymore in case youve given reading this string.
Regards
Gerry

Hi Gerry,
Thank you for getting in touch. Yes we got this sorted. I was looking at the wrong family. 
If you have information on Richard who actually is my great grandfather that would be brilliant. Patrick and Richard (Dick) both moved to Tipperary. We never met or heard from any of the Flood family in Dublin after that so i have nothing on them. Anything at all would be amazing.

regards
Paul

Offline dabirchall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 20 May 22 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hello   

In Bluebell cemetery there is a headstone with the following inscription:

This Stone is erected to the memory
of Mrs Mary Berry who departed this
life the 29th day of May 1818, aged 27 years

The corresponding death notice in the Freeman's Journal (which matches the date of death on the headstone) states that she died, after a long illness, at the residence of her father in Fox & Geese, Dublin.

I have a gut instinct that Mary Berry was a Flood.  If the age on her headstone is correct then, judging by the stated ages of her husband's children, I think she may  have been the second wife of Patrick Berry.

If you happen to have any records of any conections to the Berry family, I would be very interested.

Thank you

Offline dabirchall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 20 May 22 23:19 BST (UK) »
According to his July 1860 newspaper death notice, Michael Flood was 65 when he died