Author Topic: Looking for ID of Cross Please  (Read 3832 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for ID of Cross Please
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 14 June 18 22:55 BST (UK) »
Interesting Youngtug, but your examples seem to be badges to be worn - i.e. smaller than the large cross hanging by the woman's side.  (I think the second example is closest in shape.)

Someone mentioned chatelaine - I wondered if it might be big enough to carry bits and pieces required on her duties  -  odd shape though, unless the main vertical part is a pocket and the side arms are just for show that she belongs to a particular hospital, and they wear a similar shaped badge.   (- - if you follow my drift)

Wiggy   :)

The cross in the second link is quite close but it has a crown on the top unlike the one in my photo. I mentioned that she was wearing a chatelaine in my first post.
Thanks for your thoughts and your interest Wiggy....it all helps to narrow down the possibilities when people offer their suggestions.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 14 June 18 23:19 BST (UK) »

I think that the cross may be a Propaganda Iron Cross sold in the UK during WW1 to aid the war effort.  These artifacts were roughly cast in iron and had a variety of caricatures and slogans as part of the casting. "Fur Kultur" being common.
The nurse is showing solidarity with the war effort. (probably unofficially) in this studio photograph.

Istrice

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Online hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 15 June 18 09:38 BST (UK) »
It looks like it's made of material and used for safety pins :)
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 15 June 18 10:39 BST (UK) »
http://www.healthmuseumsa.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/chatelaine-001.jpg

Well done on that great find YT....I think you have solved it  8) it looks like Wiggy was thinking along the same lines  8)

Thanks so much for taking the time.

Thanks also to Istrice and Hepburn for your interesting responses.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 15 June 18 12:07 BST (UK) »
Quick acknowledgement to Flattybasher who posted a link to the Aussie health museum photo yesterday! :)

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 15 June 18 12:33 BST (UK) »
I think such badges were awarded at end of training when they were qualified and became a 'staff nurse''. Attached is the best I can do.  My mother was just pre SRN. It's 1 1/4" wide and 1 1/2" high. Left says King, top says Edward VII, right says Hospital and bottom says Windsor.

My mother got bored in the 60's and went back to nursing for a few years. One patient exclaimed 'my dear, you've got the Victoria Cross'!!!   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 15 June 18 13:42 BST (UK) »
Quick acknowledgement to Flattybasher who posted a link to the Aussie health museum photo yesterday! :)

MaxD

I did thank him Max....I just never enlarged the photo to see the detail that YT posted so I never made the connection :-\

Carol

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 15 June 18 13:43 BST (UK) »
I think such badges were awarded at end of training when they were qualified and became a 'staff nurse''. Attached is the best I can do.  My mother was just pre SRN. It's 1 1/4" wide and 1 1/2" high. Left says King, top says Edward VII, right says Hospital and bottom says Windsor.

My mother got bored in the 60's and went back to nursing for a few years. One patient exclaimed 'my dear, you've got the Victoria Cross'!!!   

Thanks for that Gregorian...I wonder if that is a smaller version attached to a bar in my photo.

Carol