Author Topic: Thomas William COCKERILL, Stokenchurch  (Read 1374 times)

Online june54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas William COCKERILL, Stokenchurch
« on: Wednesday 13 June 18 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hello All
I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the query below.
In the Stokenchurch Parish Registers there is a burial for Thomas William Cockerill who was buried 28 Feb 1917 aged 22 described as "A soldier of the Great War". His home address is given as The Barley Mow, Stokenchurch.
He was born 23 Aug 1894 to William John Cockerill and Sarah Ann King. He had two brothers who both served Henry Talbot Cockerill who died at Reading War Hospital on 21 Nov 1918 and who is also buried in Stokenchurch Cemetery, and  Edwin John Cockerill who survived. We have found a possible death record for Thomas - Holborn 1b 813 (Holborn War Hospital perhaps?). We have checked the Buckinghamshire Remembers website and they do not have any record of him nor has the CWGC been able to help. It is strange his brother Henry is remembered on the village War Memorial but he is not.
Any information would be welcome. 
Thanks for reading.
Prentice - Oxfordshire, Warwickshire, Buckinghamshire, Watford, Rickmansworth
Dobson - West Wycombe, Buckinghamshire
Gibbs - Bledlow, Buckinghamshire
Plumridge - Cadmore End area, Buckinghamshire
Reynolds/Campbell - London

Offline ACT61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas William COCKERILL, Stokenchurch
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 18:25 BST (UK) »
ignore

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 23:38 BST (UK) »
Order his death cert, as he may have died of wounds in the UK/England.  Would not be on the CWGC web site, I don't think.

Would this be him.

Thomas W Cockerill
abt 1895
Mar 1917
R.D - Holborn
London
Volume- 1b
Page - 813

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Online june54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 June 18 00:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for reply Steve.  The Holborn death is the only one I've found that's a possibility.  However, his brother died in a war hospital a Reading and is buried in the cemetery at Stokenchurch and this is recorded on the CWGC website.  It is a mystery and will probably need to order the death cert to find out if this is the right person. 
Prentice - Oxfordshire, Warwickshire, Buckinghamshire, Watford, Rickmansworth
Dobson - West Wycombe, Buckinghamshire
Gibbs - Bledlow, Buckinghamshire
Plumridge - Cadmore End area, Buckinghamshire
Reynolds/Campbell - London

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 June 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
Getting the death certificate would be sensible as although described as a soldier of the great war he may not have died from injuries sustained while fighting, he may have been on leave and died from illness contracted at home, i.e. flu, or as the result of an accident here.

It is also possible that the CWGC have missed him or not been informed of his death, i.e. he may have  been discharged on medical grounds and died some time later, his relatives not thinking to inform his former regiment/war office. 

It might also be worth looking for his service record if it still exists and wasn't one of those destroyed in the last war.  If you can find it and it lists his regiment you might find reference to him being wounded in the regiment's diaries.