Author Topic: Loughgall - Looking for the Allen Family  (Read 2372 times)

Offline amycargill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Loughgall - Looking for the Allen Family
« on: Wednesday 13 June 18 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have been searching for connections to my Allen line in County Armagh for 40+ years. Finally with the advent of DNA testing I was able to find a DNA connection whose line came here to the US long before mine did.  I was able to track that person's line back to an Allen Family in Loughall in the late 1700s and early 1800s before their children emigrated to the US.  The couple, George Gardiner and his wife Elizabeth "Bettie" Allen arrived in Loughgall as a married couple from England (after 1786). One of their Gardiner granddaughters, Mary, married a Samuel B Allen, son of Jacob Allen and Jane Todd. Samuel and one brother, Jacob, went to the US but siblings Jane, John and William stayed in Loughgall.  I have not been able to make a connection between these two branches of Allen but I have to think there is one because they all came from Loughgall. 

My Allen line also came from Loughgall and I can trace them back to two Allens of different families:
Henry Allen (wife Mary) b. abt 1801, d. 27 Jul 1889 Clovenden, Loughgall and their daughter in law, Jane Allen (parents unknown but were also Allens), b. abt. 1840, d. 8 April 1897 Fernagreevagh, Loughgall, married to Henry Allen (1845-1906), son of the previous Henry and Mary. 

My question is:  are there any records available (preferably online since I am in the US) which may help me link or disprove this connection? 

I would love, after all of these years of fruitless research, to be able to get another step or two back.  Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Amy
Cargill, Boath, Menmuir, Hogg, Balfour, Monro, Shepherd, Bannerman, Hutcheson, Rhind, Stewart, Anderson, Duncan, Low, White, McNab, Stirling, Fyfe, Smith, Cramond, Willsone, Brown, Joyce, McPherson/MacPherson,McPhee, MacDougal, Clifford, McCulloch

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Loughgall - Looking for the Allen Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 21:52 BST (UK) »
You don't state what religion these people were, however maybe you can look at these records https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0227
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline amycargill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 June 18 20:08 BST (UK) »
I believe they were protestant, although I have seen some Catholic indications in some records. 
Cargill, Boath, Menmuir, Hogg, Balfour, Monro, Shepherd, Bannerman, Hutcheson, Rhind, Stewart, Anderson, Duncan, Low, White, McNab, Stirling, Fyfe, Smith, Cramond, Willsone, Brown, Joyce, McPherson/MacPherson,McPhee, MacDougal, Clifford, McCulloch

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 June 18 05:03 BST (UK) »

My Allen line also came from Loughgall and I can trace them back to two Allens of different families:
Henry Allen (wife Mary) b. abt 1801, d. 27 Jul 1889 Clovenden, Loughgall and their daughter in law, Jane Allen (parents unknown but were also Allens), b. abt. 1840, d. 8 April 1897 Fernagreevagh, Loughgall, married to Henry Allen (1845-1906), son of the previous Henry and Mary. 

My question is:  are there any records available (preferably online since I am in the US) which may help me link or disprove this connection? 

Do you have the civil registration of Henry Allen and Jane Allen? That should give you Jane's father's name and possibly other good leads and you can buy the image online.

There were so many Allens in that immediate area and they intermarried which makes it tough to figure out even with records and DNA. But there is lots you can find if you're thorough and patient. One of the great things about family history as a hobby is that even the wrong turns and dead ends can be interesting and educational.

Offline Ausjules

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 February 20 00:58 GMT (UK) »
My Allen line in Loughgall started with Benjamin Allen b.1779, whom married an Elizabeth.
There son Abraham was born 1810 and married Mary Lindsay.
Although my Allen's were originally from Scotland, so probably just another Allen family to add to the confusion 😉
Rusk, hangan, hartley, mccombe, county cavan ireland.  - Knight, hance, surrey  - slater, king, paisley renfrewshire scotland.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 February 20 07:10 GMT (UK) »

You have the likes of  e.g

Death of JOHN ALLEN in 1867
Deceased Age at Death   93

but Certs are not online yet to see who registered them

Civil Reg Death results for Allen of Armagh from 1864 to 1875

LINK  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01p38/  one can check every few months for updates.

Do you have the civil registration of Henry Allen and Jane Allen? That should give you Jane's father's name and possibly other good leads and you can buy the image online.

All Civil Reg Birth, Marriage and Death results for Allen of Armagh

LINK
   http://www.rootschat.com/links/01p39/

From there one can select Marriages or whatever, and also get them by Decade.

By clicking Marriages, then 1860's one finds Marriage of Henry and Jane...click on Names to get details, click Image to view Cert.

One needs to solve security Captcha and can use initials to sign in.

Irish Govt BDM WEBSITE, safe to use, Certs are Free!

Any with  Returns Page No don't have Images at the moment...but will have 'soon'

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/what-civil-records-are-on-line explains years etc. Only up to 1922 for Northern Ireland.

Henry and Jane's Marriage Attached

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.