Author Topic: The latest Ancestry "feature"  (Read 3832 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: The latest Ancestry "feature"
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 June 18 07:56 BST (UK) »
Let us hope that the are just running a trial on this and that your feedback stops them from carrying on.

My tree hints are just as they used to be (waving leaves) though I don't keep my main trees on there anyway so don't look at it a lot.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 June 18 09:44 BST (UK) »
A wonderful way to build incorrect trees even faster.

I have tried adding a couple and tried to match the supposed parent and child without success. (I put a "?" in the suffix field on the name to remind me that these are were conjectural).

I rather lost what little faith I had when I spotted suggested parents who clearly had no connection with each other.

I will have a look at other sources to see if I can verify the suggestions but I don't have much hope.

Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 June 18 14:12 BST (UK) »
Just verified some of the suggestions which gives me four proven generations. All I need now is to verify a link between them and my actual tree!
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 June 18 14:20 BST (UK) »
If you click on the box, you get these options.

I think if you want to get rid of the hint without losing it forever (which no does apparently) then hit maybe and it should go into a holding bay somewhere in the ether so you can access it in the future.

(My tree has not been infected with these new style hints just yet)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 June 18 17:13 BST (UK) »
I seem to have "grown" on Ancestry some new notice about "We haven't yet found and descendants of XYZ..."
-good job I have!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 June 18 18:07 BST (UK) »
I wonder if you have to have Public Tree hints enabled on your account to get them.  I don't use Ancestry for my research but do have a few trees on there, one hosted for a friend, but I have Public Tree hints disabled as they are so useless most of the time (do get hints for records that others have added to their trees and any media) and its not showing for me thankfully. ::)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 June 18 19:44 BST (UK) »
What appalling rubbish this seems to encourage.

I'd rather do my own research!!

Melbell

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 June 18 20:06 BST (UK) »
I had these horrible green boxes too, but I've just got rid of them.

Go to Tree Settings, then Site Preferences, you will see "Display Potential Ancestor Hints" with a tick box.  Un-tick it and save.  Nasty little green things are gone  ;D
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 June 18 20:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Jool, although they'd not appeared on any of the trees I'm hosting on my account, the option was ticked.  Now they shouldn't appear at all. ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day