Author Topic: How do I get round file size too big when posting a photo  (Read 2473 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get round file size too big when posting a photo
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 June 18 14:41 BST (UK) »
Computer says no ???

I have tried changing size on resize down to 90 from 100 and it is still not allowing.  Wonder what I am doing wrong?

Oh, I think we must have different Watsons, Martin.  Isabella daughter of William and Mary was born in 1885 and disappears after 1901 census.  Hopefully, will find her one day.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 June 18 14:51 BST (UK) »
I have reduced the resize down to 50 per cent and it is still saying too big! ???
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 June 18 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hope it works this time ...

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 June 18 14:59 BST (UK) »
Success!  Hurrah! ;D  ;D ;D

Did it work because I reduced to 20% or because I gave the photo an angry sounding sort of name perhaps?  ;)

Sometimes you just have to get tough and show the computer whose the boss! ;D ;D ;)

Many thanks to you both for teaching this not so old (no not really) dog some new tricks today! :D

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 June 18 15:15 BST (UK) »
Rtl, so many people have helped me with family history matters, and the only way I can reciprocate is helping others with computer problems. Or rather, helping them with computer Solutions.

It was definitely the size reduction that worked. Computers are very fickle and don't like being treated badly.  Humorous file names might help.

Martin

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 June 18 15:15 BST (UK) »
I have reduced the resize down to 50 per cent and it is still saying too big! ???

Must have been very big file size to start with.... but just goes to show that reducing it to 20% the photo is still fine!!

I know the feeling with naming something!!!   ;D ;D  Good file name!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 June 18 15:22 BST (UK) »
Yes the photo is still fine. :)

I now know what to do in future.  I have had this problem in the past which can be infuriating.  I am gleeful to know I should hopefully be able to post any future photos with ease now.  I am very grateful.   :D

Earlier photo attempts had calmer titles but as you can tell I was starting to get a bit frazzled ..  ;)  Don't know if I humoured the computer or scared it but whatever it worked, Martin. ;)  Perhaps I should give all my photos belligerent titles. ;) :)

Added - I have just sent email off to Sheila to let her know when she gets back tonight she will see her photo is on! :D

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 June 18 15:29 BST (UK) »
RTL, if you right click the original jpeg and select properties it will tell you how many MB or KB the image is. You then have an idea of the percentage by which it needs to be reduced :)
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 June 18 15:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you cristeen!  Another great tip to use in future. I will follow this advice too :)