Author Topic: How do I get round file size too big when posting a photo  (Read 2469 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How do I get round file size too big when posting a photo
« on: Thursday 14 June 18 12:16 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to post a picture of a quilt on my thread 'All Things Quilts'.  I keep getting file size too big.  Is there anyway of getting around this.   :-\

This quilt was a photo sent to me of a quilt my sister-in-law's sister has sent to me specifically for this thread.

I am not at all technical so hoping someone can help.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get round file size too big when posting a photo
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 June 18 12:20 BST (UK) »
 The very easiest way is to display the picture on your screen , and then assuming you are using Windows , use the Windows snipping tool to click and drag across the photograph and save it. You will find it is considerably smaller in size than the one you are trying to upload .   Do say if you need that describing in greater detail .

Martin

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 June 18 12:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for responding so quickly Martin.

I have pasted the photo on a Word document.  Could you explain a bit further - I am hopeless at technology.   :-\

Actually, I have got this also on Window Photo Viewer
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 June 18 12:43 BST (UK) »
Martin I have just posted the image! ;D  I am at the library and have also had to seek help from a nearby man.  I showed him your advice.  Technology is certainly not my strong point.  Hopefully, one day I might join the ranks of the twenty first century with this - eventually.  Thank you  Martin! ;D

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 June 18 13:39 BST (UK) »
Right click on Photo

Open with Paint and resize it

Then go SAVE AS and name it   quilt_resized      or something.

You then have original and resized photos
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 June 18 13:57 BST (UK) »
River Tyne Lass, I'm glad to have helped you. I am a Watson.  My ancestors are from Bedlington, Jarrow and Hartlepool. Any possible overlap?

Martin

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 June 18 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi hallmark,

Thank you in theory this sounds easy!  I am going to give this a go.  Hopefully, you might see the results soon as I will try to post photo on here following your advice. ;D

Hi Martin,

Thanks too for your help.  I am certainly learning new tricks today from both of you!

My Great Grandfather Simon Peter Conroy had a sister Mary who married a William Watson in Hexham at an Anglican Church even though she was RC.  Her son Thomas Conroy had a daughter called Elizabeth who married a George Watson.  Off the top of my head these are my Watsons.  This would be great if you were some connection to William and know what happened to him as I am not 100%.  Mary and William had a daughter amongst their ten children called Isabella who gets missed off all the Ancestry Trees.  What happened to this daughter too is a puzzle.  Mary is down as from Bedlington on one record but this can change.  What a life this Mary had!  If I got started on this I would be on all afternoon  ...

Will try hallmarks advice ..  here goes  .. fingers crossed

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 June 18 14:35 BST (UK) »
RTL, My GGF had a brother, William Holmes Watson, but he married Constance Jane Greig Mackenzie in 1896 in S Shields.  At one time I laughed about the Holmes/Watson connection, but then realised that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was only 9 years old when William was born, so it is just a bizarre coincidence.  I must try and find where the Holmes name came from.

William's mother was Isabella Watson, nee Frazer.  William GF was from Bedlington.

Martin

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 June 18 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi hallmark,

Thank you in theory this sounds easy!  I am going to give this a go.  Hopefully, you might see the results soon as I will try to post photo on here following your advice. ;D

Will try hallmarks advice ..  here goes  .. fingers crossed

Just a matter of practicing 

If a file is 900 kb for example..... reduce it to 50% and save it a a copy.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.