Author Topic: ANCESTRY baptisms not showing full info  (Read 2745 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: ANCESTRY baptisms not showing full info
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 June 18 02:13 BST (UK) »
The civil registration indexes are slightly messed up as well. They no longer display the registration quarter without looking at the image, and there is an erroneous "re-registration date" on entries that haven't been re-registered. Hopefully this is fixed, since these are crucial records.
It's about 3 months since I complained about the later BMD entries - those which were only computerised, so you can't check the image for clarification.

Births only have the year - they ought to show the month.
Marriages are missing the Entry Number (ignoring the fact that District Number is labelled Volume Number).
Deaths are missing the Entry Number.

When I submitted the fault report, I decribed the errors. They then asked for examples, so I described, in detail, what to type in their search boxes. They then claimed that was too complicated to follow. Really? They coudn't cope with "Enter SMITH in the surname box. Enter 1996 in the year. Click on SEARCH" ? They wanted me to give them full URLs to click through before they would do anything.

AND they made things worse. Deaths used to have the entry number shown in the box that pops up if you hover over View Record in the search results. Because it was too difficult to display the same thing in the screen which appears when you click View, they removed it from EVERYWHERE.

Other crucial fields are disappearing too. The Page number is no longer accessible in the 1891 census. They claim that this was never known, although they display it in their Ancestry-only style source reference. The US 1900 census source citations no longer mention which microfilm the records came from. The list gets longer.  :'(
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 June 18 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, thought I'd just add a link to my thread which covers some similar issues

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=795519

I also found that the +/- year facility is working erratically, and the dates are no longer showing on baptism text pages which is completely useless!!!

Offline Alandal

• RootsChat Member
  • "We Three Hales"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 June 18 06:42 BST (UK) »
Have also just found out that their search for a surname within DNA is now not working - how are you now meant to search through three hundred matches to find a likely contact ? 

Al & Al
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk. Surnames : Buss (Kent), D'Alton (Wimbledon), Millington (Hawarden), Hales (Kent), Mackie (Guernsey), Rabjohns (Devon), Roberts (Norfolk), Roser (Kent), Stevens (Buckinghamshire and Middlesex), Townshend (Norfolk), Weatherburn, Whiddett (Kent), Young (Kent)

Offline Westward

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 June 18 12:54 BST (UK) »
I have found virtually every search on ancestry is returning zero or few results, unless I go to a specific data base search.

Was wondering if it was me - then I found this thread.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 June 18 13:35 BST (UK) »
Viewing original documents is now causing trouble. Sections not visible or blurred with the error sign up every time you try.

Have tried probate, census, 1939 and photographs  >:( ???
GEDmatch M157477

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 June 18 13:40 BST (UK) »
I type in a surname and date range. It gets the lists of categories with results, and when I click it in says "no results". And that is just for starters. As others have experienced, the date range is erratic, error messages always pop up, a slow and sluggish site. You cannot use the records to their full capacity.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 June 18 14:05 BST (UK) »
As well as the various aforementioned problems with searches, another problem is the Comment system.

Rather than attempt to contact tree owners I periodically place comments on public trees, sometimes a correction, others further information for the tree owner, if I go back and find the tree has been amended I then delete my comment. Now when I try to delete  comments, although the option is still there, nothing happens when I click delete.

Similarly, when I try to leave a comment, I type the information into the box and click submit, it just greys out and nothing happens.

No doubt there other problems that we have yet to find.

CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 June 18 21:21 BST (UK) »
Viewing original documents is now causing trouble. Sections not visible or blurred with the error sign up every time you try.

Have tried probate, census, 1939 and photographs  >:( ???

I keep getting the we are having trouble, try the simple viewer, which you then click, and then it just uses the same viewer  with bits unloaded again ::).

ONE PLUS POINT is that UK subscribers now seem to have access to the entire world databases, US censuses etc. - I wonder whether this a bribe so that we don't complain while they fix monumentally cocking up the software, or it's yet another thing that has broken. ???