Author Topic: Lookup - St Marys Woodford churchyard - vault of William Hunt  (Read 2483 times)

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup - St Marys Woodford churchyard - vault of William Hunt
« on: Saturday 16 June 18 12:40 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone can visit the churchyard of St Mary's in Woodford and see if the vault of William HUNT still exists.

In his will dated 5 March 1750, William Hunt merchant of London requests that he be buried in the family vault he built in the churchyard of Woodford, Essex on the North side of the church and the South side of his garden wall.  Although the churchyard has clearly been encroached upon by more modern buildings, Google maps does seem to show at least one large vault to the north of the church.

William Hunt died in 1767 and the parish register shows a burial for a William Hunt aged 82 on 5 May 1767.  William's nephew William Hunt later known as William Hunt Micklefield (Micklefield was his mother's name) requested he also be buried in his uncle's vault in Woodford churchyard, as did his wife Catherine Hunt Micklefield.  The parish register shows burials for William Hunt Micklefield on 17 Apr 1828 and Catherine Hunt Micklefield on 26 Nov 1842, presumably in the vault.

I am actually looking to see if the vault (if it has survived) shows any evidence of the elder William Hunt's two wives or any children (no children are mentioned in his will).  His first wife was Mary Cutts (b. 1687), who he married in 1720.  Five of her nieces receive legacies in the will.  The niece's parents are James Cutts and Honor Barrett.   I don't know when Mary died or what William's second wife's name was.  He does mention a brother and sister in law Matthew and Frances Nash.  If Frances is not William's sister, then Matthew may be his second wife's brother, or Frances is the wife's sister.

The register shows four Hunt burials before 1750 that could conceivably belong to the family:

Mary Hunt from London, buried 4 Feb 1733/34;
Mr Henry Hunt, buried 5 Mar 1738/39;
Mrs Wm Hunt, buried 25 Feb 1746/47;
Mrs Mary Hunt, buried 29 Aug 1749.

Mary from London is an obvious candidate to be Mary Cutts, and Mrs Wm could be the 2nd wife.
I suspect Mrs Mary is Henry's widow, but have no idea if they are related to William.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup - St Marys Woodford churchyard - vault of William Hunt
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 June 18 12:45 BST (UK) »
Have you tried asking the church  :-\

http://stmaryswoodford.org.uk/#

There is a 'Contact us'
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 June 18 15:04 BST (UK) »
A lot of the gravestones and tombs at Woodford no longer exist because of bomb damage during WW2 and subsequent clearance.  There had been a tomb for some of my ancestors (known about because of MIs done in the early 1900s) but unfortunately we found when we visited that it some years ago that it was no longer there.  You may be lucky but you may not be.  As Rosie says, you could try contacting the church to see if it still exists.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 June 18 16:09 BST (UK) »
Some uesful information may be in
Miscellanea Genealogica Et Heraldica
Fifth Series
In Woodford Churchyard is a huge monument...
https://archive.org/stream/miscellaneagenea1191bann#page/n235/mode/2up/

and Corsellis Family, continued - Hunt Pedigree
https://archive.org/stream/miscellaneagenea1191bann#page/n237/mode/2up

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 June 18 16:41 BST (UK) »
There were very few tombs when we visited Woodford churchyard in 2001.  As I said in my earlier post, many were badly damaged or destroyed when the church was hit during WW2.  The OP may be lucky but just because an MI exists doesn't unfortunately in this case mean that the tomb remains.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 June 18 16:52 BST (UK) »
No one has said whether it still exists or not!
The volume dates from about 1916. Sadly, it doesn't give any hint that an older generation of Hunts is in, or named on, the tomb. Perhaps they weren't?
St Mary's was destroyed by fire in the sixties, but will take your word about the bombs. Sad if the tomb was lost then
John

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 June 18 16:59 BST (UK) »
Sorry John, I wasn't aware of the 1969 fire, but had been told that it had suffered bomb damage during the war (not impossible considering its location and bomb damage in and around London).  That said, I wouldn't have thought, unless the tombs were very close to where the fire took hold, that the tombs would have been cleared for the rebuilding but I suppose that it possible.  I'm not sure when the MI for the Rayment tomb (the one we were interested in) at Woodford was made, it could have been post war but it definitely isn't there now and there are, from memory, very few tombs in the churchyard.  The OP may be luckier than we were.

Edit - Apparently the east window of the Chancel was destroyed by a land mine during WW2, although whether that caused damage to any tombs et al in the churchyard I don't know.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 June 18 17:38 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 June 18 20:37 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure that it does, unfortunately. There's a book called It Happened Here: The Story of Civil Defence in Wanstead and Woodford. I don't think it will be online! Has a bomb map in it. I have seen it, but don't own a copy.

But I'm sure smudwisk is right about the bomb. Very sad about the Rayment tomb.
To be honest I have passed that church many times without really taking any notice of it. Odd!
John