Author Topic: Transcriptions  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Transcriptions
« on: Sunday 17 June 18 15:14 BST (UK) »
How darned ignorant and bad mannered and insulting is it to transcribe the word ADOPTED TO ADAPTED  ---

silly easy error to make I know, slip of the fingers I know.. But for the family of the person involved not nice.

But then that is only M.O.  it did rile me though .. maybe you can tell    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  have I got a hang up... Well maybe... who knows..

xin

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Transcriptions
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 June 18 18:51 BST (UK) »
Surely though Xin, we are always being told that transcribers have to write what they see, not what they know it should be?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 June 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
oooo  sorry  --- silly me

;) ;D ;D ;D

xin

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 18:57 BST (UK) »
It`s easy to make a slip of the fingers, I do it all the time, but it may just as Groom says the transcriber put what they saw. The a would be usually be  on the left of the keyboard, the o on the right, a slip might have used the i.

PS: just had to make an adjustment, I`d typed aslip and not a slip !!!!!!

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 23:20 BST (UK) »
A lot of these transcriptions were done by people for whom English is not their first language.

So as Groom pointed out they will have been told to transcribe what they think it says.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 04:00 BST (UK) »
I agree Xin ... and if I were transcribing, I would expect to be transcribing handwriting in a language with which I was familiar.

ADD, so if reading and transcribing documentation regarding something to do with someone's birth, I am sure I would read 'adopted' rather than 'adapted' ...

FURTHER ADD ... tis not a slip of the fingers ... on a qwerty board, 'a' is left hand, little finger; 'o' is right hand, ring finger.  And they are on different lines....  ::)  ::)  ::) Tis as you wrote 'darned ignorant ...'  I think it is also POOR OVERSIGHTING by the transcribing team leader/s. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 04:46 BST (UK) »
"have I got a hang up..."

Yes.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 06:29 BST (UK) »
I agree Xin ... and if I were transcribing, I would expect to be transcribing handwriting in a language with which I was familiar.

ADD, so if reading and transcribing documentation regarding something to do with someone's birth, I am sure I would read 'adopted' rather than 'adapted' ...

FURTHER ADD ... tis not a slip of the fingers ... on a qwerty board, 'a' is left hand, little finger; 'o' is right hand, ring finger.  And they are on different lines....  ::)  ::)  ::) Tis as you wrote 'darned ignorant ...'  I think it is also POOR OVERSIGHTING by the transcribing team leader/s. 

JM

What was actually written?
It is all very well saying I would expect this or that but before making a comment I would like to see the original image.
It may be that the original image clearly shows an "a" rather than an "o", if so it would be totally irresponsible to change what was clearly written just because one thinks it made more sense.

There are a number of reasons why adapted would be correct in the above case but without knowing the full details the reason cannot be explained.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 09:12 BST (UK) »
I agree with Guy. There has to be a rule when transcribing, and I’ve always been told that is put what you see, not what you think. If not you could have every transcriber deciding that what was written wasn’t correct and changing it to what they thought it should be. Probably another reason why it is always best to look at images rather than transcriptions where possible.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk