Author Topic: Transcriptions  (Read 3498 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Transcriptions
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 28 June 18 02:11 BST (UK) »
 :)  :)  I would also expect all RChatters who are familiar with looking at UK Census, to also recognise that the enumerator's scribble to the immediate right of the word Nephew is for the word  'Unmarried'; hopefully the transcriber who determined the word was 'Adapted' was not required to transcribe the scribble for 'Unmarried'.   :)

JM     :)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Transcriptions
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 28 June 18 08:06 BST (UK) »
:)  :)  I would also expect all RChatters who are familiar with looking at UK Census, to also recognise that the enumerator's scribble to the immediate right of the word Nephew is for the word  'Unmarried'; hopefully the transcriber who determined the word was 'Adapted' was not required to transcribe the scribble for 'Unmarried'.   :)

JM     :)

Which goes back to the importance of looking at images rather than relying on transcriptions and then making up your own mind. Which is surely something that all serious genealogists try and do, they never accept anything second hand as the truth.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk