Author Topic: Help with finding Father of my 2nd Great Grandfather  (Read 3867 times)

Offline Rebecca Totten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help with finding Father of my 2nd Great Grandfather
« on: Sunday 17 June 18 17:24 BST (UK) »
I have had to seek help on this as i have got myself into a confused rut  ??? So i will try to explain what i have as best i can.

Im trying to find the Father of my 2nd Great Grandfather. My 2nd Great Grandfather was William Henry Squires, this i know as it is listed on my great grandfathers marriage record.

Then finding the correct marriage record for William Henry Squires states that HIS fathers name was George Henry Squires (The one im tring to find). William served in WW1 for a short service and it states on there that he was born in Birmingham, Warwickshire abt 1883, it lists him as 31yrs and 8 days. Calculating back this takes the date to AUG 18 1883.

I went onto the GRO to search and found only one William Henry Squires born in Birmingham in 1883, Mothers maiden name Piesley. So i thought yes this must be him so i ordered the certificate and was disappointed and confused with the birth certificate.

Birthdate is March 1883. Father: William Squires. Mother: Mary Jane Squires formerly Pielsey

As you can see i was confused about the fathers name being Wiliiam and not George.

So i have been doing alot of research and can't find any Mary Jane Piesley  ??? or any Piesley marrying a George Henry Squires or William Squires.

If anyone could help me with trying to figure this out it would be very much appreciated.  ;D
Tuzio, Verrechia, Quaglieri, Squires, Matthews, Totten, Cooke, Hill

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with finding Father of my 2nd Great Grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 June 18 17:41 BST (UK) »
Are you sure you have the correct marriage details for William Henry Squires.

Do you have you Great Grandfathers birth certificate, as this will give his mothers name then you should be able to trace/confirm a marriage for his Mother to William Henry Squires - which should then show Williams fathers name.

I got a bit confused so hope I've understood.

Fay
Family name Preston (of Birmingham)
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 June 18 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi the 1883 birth was registered June qtr 1883 and died aged 1 1884 Birmingham.
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rebecca Totten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 June 18 18:03 BST (UK) »
Are you sure you have the correct marriage details for William Henry Squires.

Do you have you Great Grandfathers birth certificate, as this will give his mothers name then you should be able to trace/confirm a marriage for his Mother to William Henry Squires - which should then show Williams fathers name.

I got a bit confused so hope I've understood.

Fay

Sorry i did try to explain as best i could. Yes i do have the birth certificate for my Great Grandad:

Henry Leonard Squires
Father: William Henry Squires
Mother: Ann Squires Formerly: Hill

Yes i have the correct marriage which was 1909 In Oxford, Williams father listed as George Henry Squires - Furniture Dealer

I have tried search Occupation records with furniture dealer but not got anything. Do you think Furniture Dealer could be classed as Carpenter?
Tuzio, Verrechia, Quaglieri, Squires, Matthews, Totten, Cooke, Hill

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 June 18 18:20 BST (UK) »
On the 1901 census there is a George Squires living in Holyhead Rd, Handsworth, Staffs (but now classed as Birmingham) - occupation carpenter, with wife Catherine and daughter Mary and 2 sons - George aged 20 and William aged 17 which would be around the right age.

Fay
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 June 18 18:23 BST (UK) »
William Squires born 1883 West Bromwich mmn Garle

Marriage 1875 Stourbridge - Catherine Garle married George Squires (or Frederick Robbins)
GEDmatch M157477

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 June 18 18:41 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage certificate on Ancestry March 1875 for George Squires and Catherine Garle, Christ Church, Quinton.  His occupation is listed as Carpenter - Father Zachariah Squires but i can't read occupation.
They were living at ?Warley, Salop.

1871 census shows George with his father Zacharia living in Somerset.

Fay

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 June 18 18:46 BST (UK) »
Warley is part of Oldbury now and in the West Midlands - It's near West Bromwich and not far from Stourbridge see above 18.23.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 June 18 19:04 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this helps any, but his attestation states that he previously served with the M M Rifles (South Africa)
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.