Author Topic: People stealing things off your tree?  (Read 5906 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: People stealing things off your tree?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 18 June 18 19:33 BST (UK) »
Personally, I think it despicable to pass a pice of work off as your own when in fact it is someone else's hard work.  Some people obviously have no shame. 

Have you contacted the person and raised the issue?

Yes I did, I received an apology and an offer to inform the site they had posted on that it was my work, I responded that it too late. I  had intended sending them the originals as the were by the persons direct ancestor rather than mine, but after their duplicity  I decided to keep them, so they have lost out.

I take it you have now denied them access!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 18 June 18 19:39 BST (UK) »
I don't mind people copying certificates or photos but was once rather startled that a private message I had sent someone was reproduced in public on their tree. I would have taken more care in writing it had I known it would be visible for perpetuity.
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 18 June 18 21:14 BST (UK) »
Change  "No, she had 92   to    "No, she had 9"    ;D ;D

In all my excitement, I gave you a wrong figure  ;D ;D ;D  No, it wasn't from this Kiwi.

When I first started my journey on genealogy, a tree owner I contacted started to give me the bare bones, until they could trust me, then I got a little bit of the flesh on the understanding that I would have to do the rest of the leg work myself.  Reason being was that someone had posted this persons tree as their own ... the work on the tree was done in the days before it all became available on the net.  I have had someone contact me and insist I give them everything I had, as they didn't have subs to the genealogy sites, and wanted to save some dollars.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 18 June 18 21:27 BST (UK) »
A second cousin recently took some of my family photos from facebook then posted them as hers. When I said it would have been nice to ask first and that several of them were from a totally unrelated part of the family (and would she please taken them out) she said that photos belonged to all of us, accused me of not sharing, removed all my posts (she was admin) then told my first cousin an entirely different story! Makes me glad I'm not going to that family reunion this summer  ;D
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 18 June 18 22:58 BST (UK) »
Change  "No, she had 92   to    "No, she had 9"    ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D Well umm..... I was wondering!! 😱😱🤔🤔😂😂😂😂
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Jonlouisville77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 20:12 BST (UK) »
I guess I just don't get it. I'm glad whenever someone connects to my tree or adds something. I don't care if a picture is reproduced on another genealogy site, as long as the information is correct. It's not like I'm getting hacked or something if I already publicly posted or gave someone some images.

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 10:23 BST (UK) »
I guess I just don't get it. I'm glad whenever someone connects to my tree or adds something. I don't care if a picture is reproduced on another genealogy site, as long as the information is correct. It's not like I'm getting hacked or something if I already publicly posted or gave someone some images.
However, whether it’s of concern to you is really of no matter. Ancestry holds the licence for all images that have been uploaded by their customers so nobody can just come along, take copies of those that are publically available and display them anywhere else without Ancestry’s permission.

The OP has posed a different issue. They have given permission for someone to see their private tree and subsequently this person has copied some (many) photos (screen shot or some other method) and uploaded them as if they were their own. I’m assuming that when you are given access to someone’s private tree you cannot attached any images to your own tree, hence this person using some other copy method. The issue here then is one of copyright. As the distant cousin does not own the copyright of the images that they have acquired, then they are breaking the Ancestry Ts&Cs by uploading them. The OP can ask Ancestry to have them removed, although I suspect proving ownership of copyright may be difficult and some may well be out of copyright any way (restored or not).

Simon

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 13:53 BST (UK) »
The moral of this tale is, if it annoys you, do not share.

You can always take photographs of total strangers and add them to your tree, claiming they are a relative who they really are not. Let him/her copy them, set your tree as private and then remove them.

Malky
People steal from printed family histories too, a relative of a relative wholesale copied & photographed a FH I made and put it on their own tree with no acknowledgement!

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 15:04 BST (UK) »
"People steal from printed family histories too, a relative of a relative wholesale copied & photographed a FH I made and put it on their own tree with no acknowledgement!"

This happened to me, too. One of the four or so cousins with whom I shared my expensively-researched printed family tree document gave it to a man who keeps a large tree online with as many people from a specific area as he can find. I noticed he had some info about my family online and contacted him. He proceeded to email me my entire document, complete with all of my data and all of the commentary I had written. I was shocked. I told him that I was the original author of what he had sent me and at first he vehemently denied it. Then he got nasty, called me names, and said it didn't matter because it was all in the public domain. I realized he would never acknowledge my research and that the data was now his, so I begged him to delete the commentary and certain specific identifying details about a family member who had been born and died less than 100 years ago. I don't know if he ever did it. All I know is that he was offering my research on a CD to anyone who would give him data on living people who belonged to this extended family. It was a deeply upsetting experience for me.
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters