Author Topic: who bought this lair?  (Read 805 times)

Offline jotuljones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
who bought this lair?
« on: Monday 18 June 18 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi: my great grandfather is buried in Invermoriston cemetary (in the Great Glen, 7 miles north-east of Fort Augustus). He was Alexander Grant, 1826-1908, and died in Altnacealgach, Sutherlandshire, in a family-owned hotel. His wife was Ann Cameron, 1834- 1898, who died at Faichem, Invergarry: I am sure about the details for both, with birth/death certificates, and a memorial plaque which hung in the family home, as corroboration apart from the headstone details - and later family members are in the same lair.
However, I do not know why he, or perhaps his father, bought this lair: ( family anecdote says the family originally came from Glenmoriston - I cannot trace them) and cannot find a way to establish the purchase. Can anyone help? Is there likely to be a record of this somewhere?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online goldie61

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: who bought this lair?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 June 18 23:12 BST (UK) »
Have you tried ringing or contacting the office?
I believe Invermoriston cemetery comes under the Inverness office.

INVERNESS Cemeteries in Highland Council Area
Inverness Crematorium & Cemetery Office,
Kilvean Road,
Inverness IV3 8JN
Fax: (01463) 717850 Tel: (01463) 717849

A list of cemeteries here
https://www.ancestry.ca/boards/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=658&p=localities.britisles.scotland.inv.general
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jotuljones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi- thanks - yes, I have phoned the office in Inverness, but they only know what is in the records they inherited in 1975 when local government re-organisation took place: they have a record of the current owner of the lair, my father, but that's no help. And because this graveyard is not directly linked to a church - as far as I know- there seems to be no easy way to check other records. So, no further forward.   

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 15:29 BST (UK) »
Certainly Grant territory, who is in the lairs either side?

Skoosh.

Offline Shaysmum

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 May 19 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi!
I have just seen your post about Alexander Grant. I am researching the Altnacealgach Hotel in Altnacealgach Sutherlandshire and was wondering if this is the Hotel you referred to in your post? 
Thanks
Sue