Author Topic: Gedcom files  (Read 4128 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gedcom files
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 16:39 BST (UK) »
All you need to do is right click and open with a  family tree program. This should be in your program folder, which you can navigate to in the normal way.

If you don't have a family tree program, you won't be able to open it to make any sense of the data.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 16:47 BST (UK) »
What family tree program are you using?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 20:16 BST (UK) »
All you need to do is right click and open with a  family tree program

I'm not sure that is the case for all FH programs.  For mine, I have to use the command import for the program to be able to use the data from a gedcom file.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 20:26 BST (UK) »
That's why I asked (Reply #10) which program was going to be used, Nell.

Add - I remembered that I used a freebee tree program on my laptop the other day and I had to use Import.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 20:31 BST (UK) »
Just found this thread that discusses various options. An old thread but might be of use

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=415695.0

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 21:16 BST (UK) »
Having read through the thread I'm not sure I understand the problem  :-\

As long as the file is a properly constructed GEDCOM with the '.ged' file type, any program that can read GEDCOM files will be able to read it correctly. Incidentally a GEDCOM is a simple text file which will open in notepad, although it may not be easy reading unless you understand the underlying principles.

The 'Open with acrobat reader' (or whatever) is purely a Windows function which can be changed easily as has been described. It does not alter the actual file in any way, just the way Windows deals with it.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 21:22 BST (UK) »
Having read through the thread I'm not sure I understand the problem  :-\

As long as the file is a properly constructed GEDCOM with the '.ged' file type, any program that can read GEDCOM files will be able to read it correctly. Incidentally a GEDCOM is a simple text file which will open in notepad, although it may not be easy reading unless you understand the underlying principles.

The 'Open with acrobat reader' (or whatever) is purely a Windows function which can be changed easily as has been described. It does not alter the actual file in any way, just the way Windows deals with it.

Mike.

Can't figure out if Folder has Icon

or Files in the Folder
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 22:01 BST (UK) »
I imagine this is the folder view in question. The icon seems to take its cue from the type of files contained in each folder. I guess the 'W' mentioned in the original post would suggest the files are associated with 'Word', which I don't use so it doesn't appear in my screen shot.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Jolyon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 07:22 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Thank you for trying to help and will 'try' to answer/cover the various questions here.

FH programs on my PC are RootsMagic and Legacy. I have two trees on RM and one on Legacy and currently have no problems with either program and is how I view my tree.

As a precaution against a PC disaster I created/exported Gedcom files for each tree, initially to the  Documents folder on my PC, then created another similar folder within the Documents folder, if you follow, which I called Gedcom    I put exactly the same info on a Memory Stick also.

Recently noticed all Gedcom files have the Adobe symbol attached, as previously described, and if I right click the actual Gedcom file, top of the box reads "Open with Adobe  etc"    but it won't, and further box/message says it can't.
I should add that I can't remove the Adobe symbol showing against the Gedcom, and am now worried I have done something which will stop the Gedcom being imported to the tree program.

Opening another FH file for experiment is something I am pondering, but worry about adding to my problems? which may be imaginary anyway.  (I'm a worrier). 

Regards

Jolyon
Ward, W Australia.
Parker, Hull, Yorkshire.
Watson, Knutsford, Cheshire.