Author Topic: Murdoch (Murdo) Macleod and Christina (Christy) Campbell  (Read 5863 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Murdoch (Murdo) Macleod and Christina (Christy) Campbell
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
Poss 1871 Census. 27 Keith Street, Stornoway. Murdo 63 carter, Christian 55, Donald 18 and Isabella 13. All born Harris
What jumps out at me here is that if Donald was married in Gamrie in 1867, aged 28, he can't be the 18-year-old Donald in Stornoway in 1871.

Your Donald was in Gamrie in the 1871 census, aged 32, with Margaret, 32 and Donald, 1.

Could there have been two couples with the same names, I wonder?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 12:06 BST (UK) »
Another apparent inconsistency. Murdoch's occupation.
1841 - ag lab
1851 - farmer
1871 - carter
1891 - blacksmith
I can see an ag lab becoming a farmer, and even a farmer becoming a carter, but someone who had been an ag lab, farmer and carter suddenly becoming a blacksmith in old age is odd.

Have you looked at the original of that 1871 census in Stornoway to check that Donald and Isabella are definitely listed as son and daughter of Murdoch and Christina? And that the transcription found by Monica has not been garbled by A******y?

I see that Christina MacLeod, other surname Campbell, died in Stornoway in 1885, aged 68. Have you seen that death certificate?

Also Christina McLeod, 65, widow, born Harris, is at 7 Point Street, Stornoway in the 1881 census. So Murdo(ch) must have died between 1871 and 1881.  There are 4 deaths of Murdo MacLeods born 1802-1812 in Stornoway during that period.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 14:43 BST (UK) »

I see that Christina MacLeod, other surname Campbell, died in Stornoway in 1885, aged 68. Have you seen that death certificate?

Also Christina McLeod, 65, widow, born Harris, is at 7 Point Street, Stornoway in the 1881 census. So Murdo(ch) must have died between 1871 and 1881.  There are 4 deaths of Murdo MacLeods born 1802-1812 in Stornoway during that period.

From someone's family tree, Isabella's address details at the time of her marriage in 1891 are showing as:

15 January 1891 - 7 Point Street, Stornoway

Fits well with that 1881 census entry you mention from 1881, Forfarian.

Mother Christina's death details are given as:

13 October 1885 - 7 Point Street, Stornoway

Have you viewed these documents, Suzie?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hallo everyone, thank you all for being so busy on this while I have been otherwise engaged.

The first thing I did was purchase that death certificate for Christina. It reads as follows:
Christina MacLeod, widow of Murdo MacLeod, carter, died on 13 Oct 1885 at 7 Point Street, Stornoway, aged 68. Her parents were named as William Campbell, crofter and Catherine Campbell MS Macaskill, both deceased. Informant was her daughter, Isabella.

SO...this death has to be correct. Ties in with Isabella's accommodation address where she got married in 1891.

IF the 1871 census is the right family, then yes, Murdo would have died between 1871 and 1881. I brought up the list, cogitated somewhat, and after 3 attempts, I got the right one. His death cert reads as follows:
Murdo MacLeod, carter, married to Christina Campbell, died at Keith Street, Stornoway on 29 Mar 1872 aged 62. His parents were named as Donald MacLeod, crofter and Flora MacLeod, MS MacLeod, both deceased. Informant was his son, William MacLeod.

At first I was doubtful about the 1871 census BUT both children, Donald and Isabella are noted as children of Murdo Macleod and Christina Macleod. Donald b abt 1853 ad Isabella 1857. Got Isabell's birth; might have to see if I can get Donald's birth cert now too.

I agree with Forfarian that therefore this Donald clashes with the one I have as marrying Margaret NICOL. BUT I know that is the correct marriage so I wonder if it is a completely different Donald. Yet he says his accommodation was Harris. He says his mother as a Campbell (with an odd first name) and he said his father was a fisherman yet got that name right. Yet Donald was not very bright because he could not write his own name. Only made his mark.

I really need to think about this.  But first I need to get all this info down now; I find that when it's written down in my program, you can more easily see the picture beginning to emerge. It would be good if I could find the family in 1861. Isabella would be 3 and Donald about 8. I saw one possibility in Barvas but not the right family.

I must say a huge thank to you all for this. I could not have got this far without you all.
Regards
Suzie

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 18:45 BST (UK) »
I am beginning to think that there are 2 Donald Macleods;
one who was son of Murdo & Christina Campbell, born 1853...
...and another born about 1838/39, to parents of Murdo Macleod and Marshall Campbell.

I really hope that's NOT the case as we have all worked hard to resolve Murdo Macleod and Christina Campbell, their census sightings, as far as we've got, and their marriage and death certificates.

Suzie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 18:47 BST (UK) »
That is what I have been thinking about ever since Monica found the 18-year-old Donald in the 1871 census.

Interesting that a son William has suddenly popped up. Maybe if we could find him in an earlier census it might shed some light?

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 19:29 BST (UK) »
Forfarian…There was a William aged 8 on the 1851 with Murdo 43 farmer and Christina 37 plus Donald 10 and a John 5. I have just looked through SP births...1842-1861 and there is only one in Harris to an Alexander Macleod. No mother's name!!!

Why are things never easy???

I have had enough today; can't think straight anymore.
Suzie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 19:48 BST (UK) »
So there was. I wonder where he was in 1861 - and what happened to John?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 20:48 BST (UK) »
I think the Donald, husband of Margaret Nicol, is not connected.

From what you had for 1851:

Murdo Mcleod 43
Christina Mcleod 37
Dond Mcleod 10
William Mcleod 8
John Mcleod 5
John Mcleod 21

Address: Island of Scalpa

The other Donald you had been looking at gave his mother as Marshallina Campbell. As Forfarian mentioned, Mairsile can be a variant for Marjory or Margaret. See www.whatsinaname.net/female-names/Mairsile.html

There is this other family in the same year and place as above. Wondering if this is the Donald, husband to Margaret Nicol in later years:

Murdo Mcleod 40 farmer 
Marjory Mcleod 35
Donald Mcleod 14
Alexr Mcleod 10
Donald Mcleod 6
Hanna Mcleod 8
Christina Mcleod 4
John Mcleod 1

Address: Island of Scalpa

There is also a possible death that might connect to this other family. A Marjory MCLEOD, 90, died in 1899 in Harris North - ref 111/1 18  Her other name is CAMPBELL.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk