Author Topic: Woolley Moor  (Read 3404 times)

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Woolley Moor
« on: Wednesday 20 June 18 05:00 BST (UK) »
Can someone advise me? I have a number of ancestors who were from Woolley Moor, living there in the 18th and early 19th centuries.  I have been a bit puzzled when someone sharing the family tree put Woolley Moor, Alfreton as its location.

I would have thought Woolley Moor Alfreton is the place where the village of that name was re-located following the flooding of the River Amber and the creation of the Ogston reservoir.  Surely, the original Woolley Moor where my ancestors lived would have been either Clay Cross or North Wingfield?

I would appreciate some advice!

marp

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Woolley Moor
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 05:48 BST (UK) »
My personal thoughts are, Wooley Moor was not flooded. Parts of Wooley were. The Wiki stub regarding Woolley Moor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolley_Moor

looks like it requires some expansion and correction. If you look at the maps, prior to the 1958 flooding and after the flooding, you will see that Wooley Moor is outside the flooded area. Alfreton is the nearest largest town in the area, and is the postal centre for Wooley Moor.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14&lat=53.1433&lon=-1.4540&layers=B0000000000&b=1

If you click on "Show Search Panel" (Top left) and go down to the "Blue dot" slider at the botton, click on it, then slide it to the left, you will see the area which was flooded.

Malky

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 07:28 BST (UK) »
It's not on the map posted but checking other maps I was intrigued to see on later, detailed maps of the area the public house called "Napoleon's Home" - such an unusual name.

Googling around I found -
http://strettonhandley.derbyshire.sch.uk/woolley-trail/a-reservoir-takes-its-toll/

Re. the Napoleon's Home, in an article in the Derby Daily Telegraph, 23 Aug 1924, about pub signs the writer asked
" ... Why, too, the Saltbox, and why, above all, Napoleon's Home at Woolley Moor. Napoleon we can understand, but Napoleon's Home not at all.

The pub was at the bottom of White Horse Lane

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 07:51 BST (UK) »
"It's not on the map posted"

It's just above the centre.

Malky

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 07:54 BST (UK) »
There's an "Inn"marked but unnamed.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 07:57 BST (UK) »
"There's an "Inn"marked but unnamed".

?????

Malky

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 08:01 BST (UK) »
Woolley Moor is just to the North West of what I assume is the reservoir?

And there is an Inn marked, on the road from Ashover Hay to Stretton, that appears to be lost to the waters.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 08:09 BST (UK) »
The "Inn" marked on the map is the Napoleon's Home - can be seen on later maps. It's been replaced with the New Napoleon just along the road.. Have found an article that explains how the unusual name came about - one of the son's of the landlord was nicknamed Napoleon (the other Nelson"..

In my initial post I stated "It's not on the map posted ..." Perhaps what I should have said is "It's not named on the map posted ..."

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 June 18 01:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone.  The old map reference and link was especially helpful.   There has never been any indication that my ancestors lived in the village/hamlet of Woolley.  The Woolley Moor where they lived is close to Milltown and Ashover Hay.

This bring me back to my query.   When describing where my ancestors lived in the 18th century is it  Woolley Moor, Stretton or Woolley Moor, Milltown, Ashover or Woolley Moor, Ashover Hay?   I doubt it was Woolley Moor, Alfreton.

My  ancestors migrated to Clay Lane in the early 19th century and then onto Chesterfield by the end of the 19th century.

Thanks again for all your help,   marp