Author Topic: What to do with my family history  (Read 4388 times)

Offline salt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
What to do with my family history
« on: Wednesday 20 June 18 09:52 BST (UK) »
As I tidy up the 7 volumes of my family history - retyping updated files, discarding unwanted notes, inserting new dividers etc-  i wonder what I'm going to do with it. My children are not really interested enough to find storage space for it, nor any other members of my close family. The 7 archive quality boxes are supplemented by photograph albums, photocopies of handwritten documents and CDs.

The content is the result of years of research and intellectual effort, as well as the expense of buying certificates (I dare not count how many) and parish register transcripts. One branch of my family consists mainly of ag. labs, the other records families responsible for the growth of the South  Wales tin and iron industry;  no landed gentry, some interesting emigrants to USA and Australia, a murderer and a bigamist.

I'm sure this hotchpotch is typical of many family trees, and I'm not the only one to face this problem. I'd be grateful for  any suggestions that don't involve the recycling bin.

Thanks, Salt
BRE: Price, Williams
CMN: Lewis, Smith, Coslet, Morris
GLA: Glasbrook, Lewis (of Gorseinon)
GLS: Wooles, Phelps, Beard, Broadstock, Burgum, Prothero
HUN: Bird, Chester, Dunmore, King, Read
MON: Wooles
ERY: Smith, Bell, Woolf, Sutton
USA (Utah): Read (Smithfield), Lewis (Goshen); Kansas: Lewis
AUST (Victoria): Lewis

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with my family history
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 10:10 BST (UK) »
A few quick ideas. Put it on the internet, either on one of the genealogy websites or upload photos of the documents on Flickr, try and find a local library which might be interested, find a student who wants a subject for a web design project.

Martin

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 13:46 BST (UK) »
It sounds like the kind of thing the Society of Genealogists accepts.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 14:20 BST (UK) »
I would put it somewhere safe in the hope that your children may be interested at a much later date.   In amongst those notes they may find answers to things that they wished that they asked about when you were here to answer them.  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 15:14 BST (UK) »
My Genealogy was on the old (steam locomotive) PAF. At least it was on something. I started to get nervous too so had it transferred to familysearch.org.

Mostly England and Monmouthshire, Scotland, Wales a little Irish and nearly everywhere including Afghanistan to Zambia (well it was actually Northern Rhodesia).

Highlights include British Guiana and around the British West Hartlepool area but not BWH itself.

Feel much happier now.

Offline salt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 June 18 19:26 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for these suggestions - much appreciated. The tree is on paper although I have created an online tree on Tribal Pages, but its all the associated documents, certificates and potted histories of individual families.

Salt
Ps Love the ref to British West Hartlepool.
BRE: Price, Williams
CMN: Lewis, Smith, Coslet, Morris
GLA: Glasbrook, Lewis (of Gorseinon)
GLS: Wooles, Phelps, Beard, Broadstock, Burgum, Prothero
HUN: Bird, Chester, Dunmore, King, Read
MON: Wooles
ERY: Smith, Bell, Woolf, Sutton
USA (Utah): Read (Smithfield), Lewis (Goshen); Kansas: Lewis
AUST (Victoria): Lewis

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 July 18 23:26 BST (UK) »
I would put it somewhere safe in the hope that your children may be interested at a much later date.   In amongst those notes they may find answers to things that they wished that they asked about when you were here to answer them.  ;D

That would be my advice too....I wasn't interested when I was younger and now I am, there is no one left to ask.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 July 18 06:50 BST (UK) »
There are various groups who research a particular family name ...if any of your family names are in a well researched group you could donate to them

What about a local history group  ...facts and pictures of your family may be of historic value to others researching their families in same villages .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 July 18 14:16 BST (UK) »
I knew my daughter wasn't interested, but my neice suddenly started showing an interest - she wanted to take my grandmother's autograph book and grandfather's 1ww army cap badge, when we turned my mother's house out. And then decided to read history at Uni. You never know!

My one-place study will end up at the local museum, I suspect - although it does worry me that it'll fall by the wayside as technology advances, and end up in a dusty cupboard. I had hoped Rootschat would be a safe home, but with the webpages there off-line for months, that's doubtful.  (Just had to fill a form in to try and get them back!)
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake