Author Topic: Am I jumping to conclusions here? Brantom - Cave - Gaskin  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Am I jumping to conclusions here? Brantom - Cave - Gaskin
« on: Wednesday 20 June 18 17:50 BST (UK) »
1901 census Heath and Reach, Frederick William Brantom and wife Mildred (nee Roberts married Droitwich RD June Q 1900) with his widower father James.

1911 census Fenny Stratford, Frederick William Brantom and wife Mildred have daughters Winifred (birth looks to be Mar Q 1903 Newport Pagnell RD - Fenny Stratford is in NP RD) and Cicely Marion (birth looks to be Sep Q 1905 Newport Pagnell RD). Also in household is visitor Winifred Roberts (probably Mildred's sister who Winifred has been named for) and Emily Charles a 66 year old monthly nurse.

Frederick and Mildred appear on electoral registers in Fenny Stratford - his business looks to be doing well - over the next decade or so and a 1935 directory shows Mrs Mildred Brantom as proprietoress of a painting business at 41 Church Street and a shopkeeper at 71 Aylesbury Street in Fenny.

There is a death Sept Q 1933 NP RD Frederick Brantom and 1939 register tells us that Mildred (dob 9 Sep 1875) is a widow and is living at 71 Aylesbury Street with a son James - named for his grandfather FW's father - born 4th May 1911 and a Winifred GASKIN born 21 Nov 1902 a PO clerk.

Cicely M Brantom appears to marry John A. Wise NP RD Dec Q 1933 and 1939 register shows her living at Brooklyn, Denbigh Road, Bletchley U.D. (dob 1 June 1905) with husband John and a baby John born April 1938. 

There's a marriage of a Winifred BRANTOM June Q 1928 NP RD to a Charles T. CAVE which could be Fred and Mildred's daughter Winifred.

There's another marriage of a Winifred CAVE Dec Q 1937 North Bucks RD (NP RD has ben replaced by North Bucks by this time) to a Edward D GASKIN which could make the Winfred Gaskin who is with Mildred in 1939 her daughter.

This suggests Winifred married Mr Cave and then subsequently married Mr Gaskin but I can't spot any obvious death for Charles T Cave between 1928 and 1937 so has Winifred divorced Mr Cave to marry Mr Gaskin or am I jumping to conclusions here as divorce would have been very expensive and unusual?

Thanks
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Am I jumping to conclusions here? Brantom - Cave - Gaskin
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 18:01 BST (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 19:32 BST (UK) »
He was nibbling at other goods.... so she called for a divorce.

It's in the Bucks newspapers 26 May 1934.

Mrs. Winifred Cave .... Church Street, Fenny Stratford, petitioned for the dissolution .... husband, Mr. Charles Thomas Cave ....
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 23:40 BST (UK) »
It looks like Charles Thomas Cave remarried early 1935 in Oxfordshire to Edith Ellen Wadham
Possibly they had a child in 1942

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 June 18 17:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone - I shall look into her background further.

She and her sister, both young children, are in a photograph taken c1915 wearing Votes for Women sashes.

The females in the family appear to be  a feisty lot; Winifred was prepared to divorce Mr Cave!
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas