Author Topic: William Smith from the Middlebie Parish  (Read 1090 times)

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Smith from the Middlebie Parish
« on: Friday 22 June 18 10:31 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have Smith ancestors in the Middlebie Parish in 1848?

We have the Banns and Marriage of William Smith and Margaret Calvert in the Dalton Parish Records and I understand that they are in the OPR records for Middlebie but I cannot find this on Scotland's People. Date was proclaimed 26 Nov, and ? Dec. Married 8 Dec 1848.

William appears to have moved South with his family and is possibly in Prestwich, Lancashire, England census in 1861. He may have been aged 36 in the census. Private Coachman.

First child was Mary, (Margarets Mothers name) second was James, Margaret, Annie, Francis Calvert Smith (after Margarets father) Elizabeth Hammond Smith. Ann was born in England and I have not yet found Elizabeth. Other births,baptisms are recorded at Dalton, Dumfriesshire. We have found Mary working at the Harrytown Hall Chesire in the 1871 census, William died before most of the family emigrated to NZ.

At each census record 1851,1861,1871 there was a Smith child with Grandparents at the Inn at Dalton.

Any hints on how to research Middlebie would be appreciated.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Smith from the Middlebie Parish
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 10:55 BST (UK) »
You will find some information on http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/DFS/Middlebie

As you say record on SP for WILLIAM SMITH whom married MARGARET CALVERT 8/12/1848 Dalton.

Middlebie is listed on SP and there are a number of Smith births recorded in the early 1800s.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Smith from the Middlebie Parish
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 10:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you Colin. I will revisit SP and have a look at the Births. :)

Will also have a search around in the old newspapers with Middlebie as the subject plus visit the site that you have kindly given me the link to.

I appreciate the assistance. Regards, June