Author Topic: Heraldy Research Questions  (Read 3233 times)

Offline davidbappleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Heraldy Research Questions
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 18:16 BST (UK) »
I seem to remember that there is only 1 herald on duty at any one time?
And that queries have to go through the herald on duty.

Each herald in the College is rotated through a position called "Herald in Waiting," whose job (for a week at a time, if I am recalling it correctly) is to respond to all inquiries that come to the College that week. All of the other heralds are generally still there and "on duty" working with their clients, they are just not the ones who receive incoming inquiries (until it is their turn again to be Herald in Waiting).

David

Offline rebeccaclaire86

• RootsChat Member
  • I'm not stuck, I'm ancestrally challenged...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 September 18 13:33 BST (UK) »
I meant to come back to this - sorry for the belated response!  Thank you for all the replies, I think I understand it a little better.  Thanks for the book suggestions, I'll definitely have a look at those!
Buckinghamshire; Bignell, Talbot, Janes, Gibbs
Cambrigeshire; Cockerton, Sharpe, Purkis
Hertfordshire; Rolph, Bigg, Marvell, Pateman, Hornsby, Jenkins
Norfolk; Crowfoot, Randlesome
London; Wyatt, Yarroll
Somerset; Date, Hodder, Leatherby, Webb
Suffolk; Palfrey, Yallop, Kerry, Codling, Steward, Pettitt
Ireland & Canada; Hanna, Teel, Cowin, Switzer

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 September 18 14:49 BST (UK) »
Rebecca Claire, with regards to your question 5, searching on the internet for all or part of the blazon, the heraldic description of the coat of arms might lead you somewhere. Especially if you select 'images' from the results. You might have to try this in several different ways to find something meaningful. Searching for the more obscure words is likely to be more productive.

Martin

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 September 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Rebeccaclaire

Regarding Crests, Fairbairns Book of Crests Volumes 1 & 2 are interesting, the researcher needs both Volumes.

Volume 1 with Descriptions and part of the Plates Index
archive.org

Volume 2 with other part of Plates Index and Plates of the Crests
https://archive.org/stream/FairbairnsBookOfCrestsV2#page/n29/mode/2up/search/Coe

In the Plates Index the first number denotes the Plate and second number relates to the Crest.

1) A Coat of Arms did not really evolve within a family for change sake. A Coat of Arms were usually granted to a particular named person. (See 4. below).

Dad said many were granted for a particular favourable Act to the King or Queen. One in Newcastle I read about was granted Arms for Guarding Parliament.

2) "One of my more recent Popham ancestors in 1725 used a seal on a property document that was described as 'armorial, three chevrons, not determined.'  Do seals link to families?"

The Seal is only a part of Arms. I have seen Seals in the Crest (in the Arms above the Shield).

Seals on their own might not be enough, as differing family surnames had the same Seals. See Fairbairns (both Volumes).

3) For the first 200 to 300 years backward from yourself, you might as well have the fun and interest of going back yourself.

Have you considered an appointment at the College Arms to do some research? Keep all your copy Certificates, Documents, Wills, etc., linking each generation backward from yourself.

4) "Could families hold multiple coats of arms? ... "

Coats of Arms were designed for a particular holder, to whom they were Granted.

If the College of Arms, Grant Arms to a Cadet in the same family (see Cadency), these Arms usually vary to reflect that they are not the original holder and will have different marks in the Coat of Arms.

5) You will only find the Coat of Arms, and if Arms were Granted to a particular line ancestor and the person to whom they were Granted, by working your own personal family line backward.

Not everyone in an Armorial family can quite make a link, perhaps a Sibling of a direct line Ancestor was Granted the Arms.

The College of Arms (never been there), must have numerous Volumes of Indexes and Coloured Illustrations of Arms Granted to individuals and submitted family lines.

I notice Rootschatters refer to Wills, that mention Arms and the original beneficiary informed the College of Arms and if Granted, Notices appeared in the London Gazette.

6) Other sources - Victoria County History VCH (published about 100 years ago), can be a useful source as they give references to documents, which you can trace in Archives.

Sometimes you can find people mentioned in:-
Manors, Land Owners and records of Lords of the Manor, Estate Surveys, Rentals, Accounts, Deeds, Leases, Tithe records, Old Maps and Schedules, Fee Farm & other types of Rent, Tax, Land Enclosures, Court's Baron, Manor Court Rolls, Marriage Settlements, Parliamentary Acts, Court Documents, Exchequer cases, and the like.

Many Lords owned land in many counties and their collections today are spread over several County Archives, Museums, University Special Collections and National Archives and National and Principal Libraries, some are still in private hands.

Mark