Author Topic: Herringfleet land query 1700s  (Read 739 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Herringfleet land query 1700s
« on: Friday 22 June 18 18:58 BST (UK) »
The 1767 will of my ancestor Thomas King, a baker of Great Yarmouth, mentions fives acres of land with tenement in Herringfleet in the 'life possession and occupation' of Thomas Flaxman.

Now I don't know much about working in wills but it rather sounds to me as if Thomas King was left the land but could perhaps only have it after the death of Thomas Flaxman.

I am not certain of the origins of this Thomas King. He married Mary Warnes in 1741 in Yarmouth and that is about it so I am wondering if this estate of his in Herringfleet might give a clue.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to find out more I would be most grateful.

With thanks and best wishes,
Jon

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Herringfleet land query 1700s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 June 18 20:14 BST (UK) »
Ahhhh.... It says 'use'! Not 'life'!

The wording is, "And as to my Estates both Real and Personal I dispose thereof as follows Item I give and devise All those Closes or Inclosures of Land containing by Estimation Five Acres of Land (more or less) lying and being in Herringfleet in the County of Suffolk with the Tenements and Hereditaments thereunto belonging as the same are now in the life possession or Occupation of Thomas Flaxman his Assignees or Undertenants unto Mary my loving and affectionate Wife..."

But regardless I would still like to see if this land was left to Thomas King by a family member. Did Thomas King's family originate in Herringfleet, perhaps?