Author Topic: Samuel Virtue/Peter Virtue  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Jconnor124

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Virtue/Peter Virtue
« on: Friday 22 June 18 22:52 BST (UK) »
Help! I've been stuck for weeks and I'm getting frustrated. I'm searching for information on Peter Virtue and his father Samuel Virtue. I don't know where or when they were born. So far all my family have come from Scotland and I've been using Scotland's people but I've hit a wall. I believe Peter was married to Elizabeth Lee born in 1751 in Swinton, Berwickshire in Scotland but I can't find a marriage record for them. Any ideas where else to look?

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Virtue/Peter Virtue
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 June 18 01:29 BST (UK) »
According to this http://gbnames.publicprofiler.org/NameSelection.aspx?name=VIRTUE&year=1881&altyear=1998&country=GB&type=name Virtue is an English surname.

Maybe have a look over the border?  :)

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
  • Indpendent academic historian and genealogist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 June 18 11:12 BST (UK) »
There's a baptism indexed in ScotlandsPeople for a Patrick Vertie, in 1760 at Polwarth, Berwickshire, son of Samuel Vertie and Christian Hastie. Check that out. Peter and Patrick are interchangeable at this time, and Virtue could be spelled in all sorts of ways.

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
  • Indpendent academic historian and genealogist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 June 18 16:23 BST (UK) »
There's a baptism indexed in ScotlandsPeople for a Patrick Vertie, in 1760 at Polwarth, Berwickshire, son of Samuel Vertie and Christian Hastie. Check that out. Peter and Patrick are interchangeable at this time, and Virtue could be spelled in all sorts of ways.

Following this up to add that I've just checked the pre-1855 Polwarth monumental inscriptions, published by the Scottish Genealogy Society in their Berwickshire "Western Parishes" book. There are a lot of Virtue and Vertue graves there. Including another Samuel. Again another clue for you.

Offline colinskene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 June 18 08:15 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was a Virtue and came from the borders. I'm sure I traced her line back to Polwarth at some point too. I'll check and get back to you
Skene, Skeen, Virtue, Spark, Nelson, Dickson, Berwickshire, Bogend, Cairns Mill, Duns, Preston

Offline Jconnor124

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 June 18 08:17 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was a Virtue and came from the borders. I'm sure I traced her line back to Polwarth at some point too. I'll check and get back to you

That would be great thank you! I'm actually heading to Berwick today for a nosey and to search the graveyard!

Offline colinskene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 June 18 08:31 BST (UK) »
I'd say the Vertie line at Polwarth is your best bet. I ended up with that spelling too in my searches
Skene, Skeen, Virtue, Spark, Nelson, Dickson, Berwickshire, Bogend, Cairns Mill, Duns, Preston