Author Topic: Rogers & Connolly - New York  (Read 3005 times)

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
Rogers & Connolly - New York
« on: Saturday 23 June 18 09:22 BST (UK) »
I've 2 immigration records for a cousin in 1928 going to New York, and one of which she didn't travel on. I'm looking to find out the first names of the women mentioned on the record that she was going to.

Her name was Johanna Grant & on 10 September 1928, she stated she was going to her cousin, Mrs. James Connolly of 407 West 47th Street (She didn't travel on this ship). Her name on this listing was Annie Grant.

On 30 Octoer 1928, she stated she was going to her aunt, Mrs Rogers of 10 Adrian Avenue, New York. Her name on this listing was Johanna Grant.

I would love to find out the first names of the ladies mentioned, and hopefully might break a brick wall or two down for me.

Thanks
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rogers & Connolly - New York
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 June 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
I'd never heard of Adrian Avenue, but it looks like it's a small road in the Bronx just across the river from Manhattan, but it looks like the 1930 census has it listed under Enumeration Districts in New York County 31-1167 and 31-1168.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 June 18 15:06 BST (UK) »
It looks like 10 Adrian Avenue shows up on at least 10 different pages of Enumeration District 31-1167 in the 1930 census, but I don't see any Rogers there.  I also didn't see anyone named Rogers who lived there in the 1931 Manhattan and Bronx city directory.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 June 18 08:46 BST (UK) »
Apparently the current 10 Adrian Avenue was built in 1930 (https://streeteasy.com/building/10-adrian-avenue-bronx and https://www.emporis.com/buildings/404095/10-adrian-avenue-new-york-city-ny-usa). I'd assume that Mrs Rogers would have moved to another address soon after Sep 1928. The 1930 census won't help very much in this case ...

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 June 18 16:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both. Appreciate your input  :) Wish people would stay put so could follow them more easily but that's why we have brick walls lol
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 June 18 07:34 BST (UK) »
E-mailed Calvary Christian Church, which is now at that address & they don't have any records, as it not exist at the address 407 West 47th Street in 1928, so its back to the drawing board for a little bit

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 June 18 18:39 BST (UK) »
I can’t see her non-arrival as Annie but have the other.

Do you know what happened to her- did she marry? Do you have her in 1930?
Did any siblings emigrate? They might have gone to the same relatives.

Can’t think of much more yet.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 08:14 BST (UK) »
Have Johanna Grant on the 1930 and 1940 Census in New York. No other of her siblings immigrated.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 08:17 BST (UK) »
Do you know the names of her parent's siblings?
Have you looked for a marriage of any of the sisters of either to Rogers or Connolly?