Author Topic: trouble with ancestry  (Read 1507 times)

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
trouble with ancestry
« on: Saturday 23 June 18 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Gang

Does anyone know how I can get a record on the 1939 register unlocked as my late Mum passed away in 2000 but both ancestry & find my past still have her record shown as closed & ancestry has a complete family missing from its 1939 pages but the same family is on find my past

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: trouble with ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 June 18 13:18 BST (UK) »
Instructions are here:

https://www.findmypast.com.au/frequently-asked-questions/answer/can-i-unlock-a--register-household-with-my-subscription

Ancestry does not have the updated version of the register where entries have been recently unlocked.

Debra  :)

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 June 18 14:38 BST (UK) »
It is my understanding that Ancestry do not have a subsciber update procedure in place and will only be updating the database once a year with information supplied by TNA.

I'm not sure if this will include updates supplied to/by FindMyPast to TNA.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 July 18 11:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you both very much for your replies but as Im not a member of Find My past its going to be difficult for me to get this record unlocked as when I went to the National Archives site they want me to pay for this record even though I know all the details including the fact that the birth year given for the head of this household is incorrect as I know when & where my grandfather was born.  its just annoying that this complete household is not there as my late mothers record should have been unlocked 3 weeks ago on what would have been her 100th birthday.

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 July 18 11:57 BST (UK) »
On Ancestry, under the title "About the 1939 England & Wales Register", it says:

Images have been redacted to protect the privacy of those still alive and we will be annually adding records for those with birth dates older than 100 years or if a record of the death has been reported to The National Archives. Images will also be updated to reflect the opening of the record.

(my emphasis)

Birth dates on the Register are those supplied by the people themselves ;D
TNA, FindMyPast and Ancestry simply report what was written (quite correctly!).
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 July 18 17:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you both very much for your replies but as Im not a member of Find My past its going to be difficult for me to get this record unlocked as when I went to the National Archives site they want me to pay for this record even though I know all the details including the fact that the birth year given for the head of this household is incorrect as I know when & where my grandfather was born.  its just annoying that this complete household is not there as my late mothers record should have been unlocked 3 weeks ago on what would have been her 100th birthday.

All the very best

Phil

Have you looked at the actual image or just read the transcription?

A lot of us have found that they are occasionally one line out,so the person's name is correct but the DOB's etc all have been moved down the page. If you don't have a subscription to FindMyPast,if you want to give the details one of us will look it up for you.

Although we are limited by FindMyPast's privacy rules as to what we can actually tell you  ;D

If you really want to get your mum's records opened then you could purchase a pay per view subscription to enable you to do so. Or wait until they next update and do all those who would have been over 100 by now.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lemur41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 July 18 19:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carol8353 & K Garrad from me also.
 In 1939 my mother was 16 & my aunt was 14. My aunt died in 2007, her record  was open when the 1939 Register first open to public search.
My mother died in 1996, earlier this year I submitted a copy of her death cert to attempt to have her record opened. I am the Informant on the dc

I was told a few weeks ago by a family member that her record not opened yet, we  didn't realise we had to wait for annual update.

Makes sense of course !!!
Cheers

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 July 18 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

I looked at several index transcripts on Find My past & the Image on Ancestry & I knew every person in this household personally - grandfather, grandmother, MOTHER (CLOSED), auntie so I know all of these are in the correct position on the page & its very annoying that the National Archives cant update their records after the death of a person was submitted to them almost 18 years earlier

All the very best

Phil
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell