Author Topic: Bastidy bonds  (Read 1586 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Bastidy bonds
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 June 18 13:25 BST (UK) »
I have a beautiful document called an affiliation order for my grandmother from 1900
She is referred to as 'bastard child of ..'

Weekly payments to be made tI'll aged 13
And medical costs paid too ..midwife fees I suppose
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 June 18 13:40 BST (UK) »
Interestingly -- in the 1970s I went with my friend to Court for her divorce hearing --- her Solicitor used the phrase to the Magistrate or Judge (or whoever was the legal person in charge!) 'Suffice to say a 'filiation' order was brought against the husband'. So the word 'affiliation' --- or in this case 'filiation' was still in use then.

Before the Family Law Reform Act of 1987, affiliation orders were the manner by which a single mother could compel the so-called putative or alleged father of her child to pay support.
https://www.inbrief.co.uk/child-law/affiliation-orders/
Family Law Reform Act of 1987 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1987/42/enacted
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 June 18 15:35 BST (UK) »
Some time ago I took an on line course all about the workings of the Parish (pre 1834). It was SO interesting and informative - as each parish was sort of autonomous within the law of the land and ran itself.

Any unmarried mothers to be -- were more or less compelled to reveal a father's name to the local constable or poor law guardians or the midwife - often whilst they were in labour! (Wonder if that brought about the saying 'Who's the Daddy?')  - I am joking, but that has just occurred to me!

The poor law guardians then arranged for the supposed father to appear before the justices and pay towards the child's upkeep, so that the mother didn't claim poor relief.

I must confess I wasn't sure when mother's had to take their own civil action -- so the websites found by 'Stan the Man'(!) - I found to be very informative about the more recent times. By 'more recent' I mean late 1800s - early 1900s.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.