Author Topic: Looking for Russell families  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Flowerdoll

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Russell families
« on: Sunday 24 June 18 14:47 BST (UK) »
I am looking for anyone from a Russell family. Daniel Russell born 1860 Glasgow Lanarkshire Scotland. married to Janet. Their children, Thomas, Robert, Archibald, Janet, John, Daniel, Elizabeth, Daniel, Kathrine. Their son Daniel born 1891 was married to my 3rd great Aunt Mary Ann Hillis.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Russell families
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 June 18 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi just checking if I got the right marriage as the only one I can find for a couple with these names is in 1883 Dalkeith if this is the correct one there is a tree on Ancestry which has his birth as 1860 parents Thomas Russell and janet Smith married Mary Ann Hillas b abt 1861 Yorkshire parents Hugh Hillas Elizabeth Finnigan

Ok looks like that tree has got families confused have found Mary's birth in 1855 in Edinburgh and Daniels in 1860 in Hutchesontown Glasgow if that is the correct parents the only way to check if this is the correct couple would be to download the marriage from Scotlands People which will give you the names of the parents including the mothers maiden names There are 2 Daniel russells born 1860 in Glasgow the other one has parents James Russell and Janet Smith

Added Mary Hillis daughter of Hugh Hillis possible death 1856 age 1 mothers ms Finnigan at St Giles
So the Mary Ann Hillis who married Daniel Ross is from Yorkshire b abt 1861 and not the daughter of Hugh and Elizabeth

Offline Flowerdoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 June 18 00:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy, I have the marriage record of Daniel and Mary Ann listing Daniel's parents as Thomas and Janet Russell nee Smith married 1883 in Dalkeith. Mary Ann's parents are listed as Hugh Hillis and Elizabeth Hillis nee Finnigan. Hugh and Elizabeth are the parents of my 2nd great grandmother Margaret who married Patrick McIver.

I had that other Daniel come up in my Ancestry hints. Interesting all the names are the same but that family is in England.

I am hoping that some of Daniel and Mary Ann's descendents are also looking for their ancestors:-) and we can help each other fill in our trees.

Offline kirtap

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 November 19 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Does it have to be Scottish? I am a branch of the Irish Russells (Waterford City). Weirdly though, I have always had much more of  ann affinity  to Scotland than Ireland?

Patrick Russell

Offline Flowerdoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 November 19 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Patrick, do you have a Thomas Russell who married Janet Smith in your family tree?  Thomas could have come from Ireland, a lot of Irish did move to Scotland.

Have you done your DNA and if so are you on Ancestry? We could try to see if we have any connection that way.