Author Topic: 1869 burial of Jeremiah Quinlan, in Tasmania  (Read 4622 times)

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
Re: 1869 burial of Jeremiah Quinlan, in Tasmania
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 June 18 10:27 BST (UK) »
 Rodney53, you could try contacting LINC Launceston as they have information on early Launceston burials.

https://www.linc.tas.gov.au/locations/Pages/Launceston.aspx

Johngirl
JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 June 18 10:31 BST (UK) »
This may be William Cornelius in 1890
https://stors.tas.gov.au/GD67-1-9$init=GD67-1-9p069

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 June 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
BDM VIC death
1935 / 3170  QUINLAN William Cornelius parents UNKNOWN / Unknown (Unknown)
died Preston age 70

The Age 16 Apr 1935 p1
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/204282440?
QUINLAN. — The Friend of the late Mr. WILLIAM QUINLAN are respectfully invited to follow his remains to the place of interment, in the Preston -General Cemetery. The funeral Is appointed to leave his nephew's residence, 284 Tyler-Street, Preston......   

Preston Cemetery
QUINLAN  William             Area G PR-G****5327  Interment 17/04/1935
QUINLAN Gordon William  Area G PR-G****5327  Interment 25/02/1947

BDM VIC death
1947 / 2116 QUINLAN Gordon William parents QUINLAN William / Helen (Morgan)
born Brunswick died Royal Park age 51

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 June 18 11:50 BST (UK) »

Electoral Roll 1931    at 284 Tyler St Preston Melbourne VIC
QUINLAN    William
QUINLAN    Gordon William
MORGAN    Florence Elizabeth
MORGAN    James David
MORGAN    John Owen

Offline Rodney53

• RootsChat Member
  • Owen Wynne Morgan, my 3 x great-grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 June 18 15:18 BST (UK) »
My goodness! This is all very very gratefully received and confirms some of what I do know, and opens quite a few new lines of pursuit.
I WILL get to respond individually to you all asap.
The Quinlans are a very bewildering family to pursue and I will TRY to fill you all in with what I know of this jigsaw puzzle with lots of pieces missing.
To begin at the end of this thread with 284 Tyler Street Preston electoral roll:
1. John Owen Morgan and Florence Morgan were my Morgan grandparents.
2. John Owen Morgan was the grandson of Ellen Quinlan, sister of Jeremiah Quinlan whose name began this thread.
3. William Quinlan was Ellen Quinlan-Morgan's brother. They had another sister in Melbourne, Anne Nora Quinlan, later Johnston. While it is clear from the records that this William Quinlan is the son of William Senior and Margaret McDonald, Ellen and Anne Nora certainly look to be the Margaret and Mary Bridget Quinlans born to the same parents. They seem to have chosen new names when they came to Melbourne, for reasons best known to themselves. The violent death of their father suggests some unsavoury possibilities for aliases. Since there are clear and convincing reasons to believe the three were siblings, the name changes are perplexing to those of us who descend from them.
4. The Gordon William Quinlan also at 284 Tyler Street was always said to be William's son, and the birth and death records tend to confirm this, but for reasons best left alone for now the records for his birth and death confuse his birth mother totally. And raise more questions than answers. They are buried in the same grave at Preston cemetery. Many in our family doubt the accuracy of this father-son connection
5. In Tasmania, the records place most births in Launceston and the father dies in Campbell Town (where oral history suggests, rightly or wrongly, they lived for some time. Oral history on the subject of the Quinlans has proven fairly unreliable).
6. Ellen (Mary Bridget) Quinlan married Owen Orr Morgan, and their daughter Annie Morgan was my great grandmother (mother of John Owen Morgan mentioned above). Another complex story best left alone here for now.
7. Digger ... TAS BDM Pioneer index has been attached (I hope). I have relied on it largely to date.
Hope this helps .. it's a jgsaw with lots of gaps.
Again, my thanks to all who have had a go at helping with this thread.
Rodney53

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 June 18 18:25 BST (UK) »

25 July 1857, Honora? Hanora? (snip attached) (sp. Hanora Bryan)

Could Anne Nora be Hanora?

Offline Rodney53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 02:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Matthew.

The Honora one is another puzzle .. on the baptism list but not the Pioneer list. And many thanks for that baptism list. Do you happen to know if St. Joseph's was a catholic church? and still functioning? Ellen Quinlan Morgan was buried in the Catholic section of Coburg cemetery, and baptised some children/grandchildren in catholic churches, yet Ann Nora is buried in the Church of England section of Melbourne cemetery.

Ann Nora Quinlan Johnston's descendents believe her to have been born Margaret Quinlan and her death year minus age at death = birth year of Margaret Quinlan, so I'm not sure Honora is Ann Nora (though I see why you would consider it). The same little calculation gives Ellen Quinlan the birth name and year of Mary Bridget Quinlan.

To you, and all others who have enriched this thread, I want to tell you that the Melbourne Quinlans are intrigued, fascinated, and most of all extremely grateful for the light you are all shedding on our family's past in Tasmania.

Rodney53

Offline Rodney53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 02:23 BST (UK) »
Hello and thanks "wivenhoe",

Thank you especially for the funeral notice of William C. Quinlan 1935, leaving from 284 Tyler Street Preston, home of his nephew (great-nephew to be exact) John Morgan, my grandfather. I have not seen that notice and the address is very illuminating to us, since we visited it so often in childhood and my mother grew up there.
We knew that the widowed Ellen Morgan (if indeed she and Owen were married) and Bill Quinlan (no mention anywhere of a wife yet a son named Gordon) shared houses for many many years until her death in 1926, then he looks to have lived out his days with my grandparents. Certainly he died in Preston, probably at 284 Tyler St... so that notice is very poignant for us.

Much appreciation for your help.

Rodney53

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 03:19 BST (UK) »
Yes, St Joseph's was a catholic church, replaced by Church of the Apostles in 1866, so the baptism registers 1845 to 1885 are from both churches.

M