Author Topic: Hitchcok or Hancock a second opinon please  (Read 759 times)

Offline Landyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hitchcok or Hancock a second opinon please
« on: Sunday 24 June 18 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I would welcome a second opinion about John Hancock of Hampstead Norreys.

John died in 1811, his wife was Frances, died 1797.

Based on searches on FindMyPast John and Frances' children were the first Hitchcocks to be baptised in the Parish. Suggesting that John originally came from outside the parish. Searching on FindMyPast the only marriage I could find in the right time frame was that of John Hitchcock and Frances Legrande in Holborn in 1753. On further research however she proved to be the wife of a different John - she died in 1780.

Another search of FindMyPast looking for a Frances who married a John with a surname beginning with H revealed Frances Hearam (Harman) from East Ilesly, who married a John Hancock in Bucklebury in September 1758. I can find no children from this union, nor can I find and entry for Frances Hancocks burial or any remarriage. However this marriage would fit well with the first Hitchcock to appear in the Parish records of Hampstead Norreys.

Also Hampstead Norreys is almost exactly halfway between Bucklesbury and East Ilsley so perhaps it was a convenient place for them to settle.

Has anyone come across Hancock being turned into Hitchcock? Has anybody come across these families whilst researching? Does anyone have any suggestions how I might confirm or otherwise this idea?

Any help gratefully received.

Rob

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Hitchcok or Hancock a second opinon please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 June 18 22:59 BST (UK) »
John was 78 when he died so born around 1733

John and Frances' children were the first Hitchcocks to be baptised in the Parish.

FS shows 4.2.1759 for son John but another John in 1774 to same parents.  - last child was baptised 1776

Perhaps the original entry for the 1758 marriage needs to be looked at to check the spelling
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Landyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hitchcok or Hancock a second opinon please
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 June 18 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Carole

I hadn't seen that John was 78 when he died.

I have found a John Hitchcock son of Joseph and Ann baptised in Fawley in 1733 and another the son of Thomas and Margaret baptised in Beedon in 1734.

John's son William married in Beedon so perhaps that is a clue.