Author Topic: William Furneaux baptised 1579, Paignton: Son of Henry Furneaux  (Read 4488 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Furneaux baptised 1579, Paignton: Son of Henry Furneaux
« on: Sunday 24 June 18 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hello There,

I realise this may be a long shot.

I have been trying to work out which Henry Furneaux of Paignton is which, and which one fits in as being the father of my William:
A Henry Furneaux married a Christian (somebody) in Paignton in 1565.
The original image for the marriage on Find My Past just says:
"Henry Furneaux married Christian."
One of his sons William Furneaux baptised 1579 in Paignton was one of my 11x great granddad's.

There was a Will of Henry "Furnis" of Paignton dated 13 Mar 1587/88:

"Will of Henry Furnis of Paignton, signed 30th year of Eliz'th, proved 13 March,
1587-8, Exeter Consistory Court. Inventory £180:17:0. Daughter Johan
Furnis, son Roberto, son John the elder and John the younger, and children oi
John the elder. Also son Henry Furnis. Christian his wife sole executrix. Henry
Furnes and Robert Furnes witnesses. ":
https://archive.org/stream/miscellaneagenea02unse/miscellane...

There is also a Will of Henry Furneaux "The Elder" of Paignton dated 19th of Sep 1625.
He names his "eldest son" William Furneaux "residuary legatee and executor".
This William is named William Furneaux, the elder: William did have son called William.
I estimate he was baptised in Paignton in 1579, my 11x great granddad. William married Jane Chaddor/ Chadder in Paignton in 1598. He mentions sons of William called James and Robert which I have been able to find:

"Will of Henrie Furneuxe the elder, of Paignton, Devon, Yeoman, dated 19th
Sept., 1625, pr. 6th Sep., 1626, Exeter, Bp.'s Peculiar, Consistory Court. Son John,
also John son of aforesaid John. James, son of William Furneuxe the elder, his
son Robert, son of the said William F. the elder, and Henrie, son of Henrie Fur-
neuxe of Ashburton. Residuary legatee and executor William Furneuxe, his eldest
son. Henrie Furneuxe overseer. Desires to be buried at Paignton beside his late
wife. Inventory £42 : 13 : 4. ":

I know that my William baptised in 1579 was a son of a Henry. But I'm not sure which of the above two Henry's he was a son of.
The older(?) Henry's wife Christian made her Will in Paignton dated the 6th of Jan 1603. Confusingly she names Henry "Furnace" as her son in-law:

Will of Christian Furnace of Paignton, dated 6 Jan., 1603, proved Feb. 3rd,
Consistory Court, Exeter. Son William Fost and his children Henerie, Sisley,
Catherine, also her son John Fost and his son William and other children. Her
daughter Johan Yenning and her children. Her son-in-law Henerie Furnace
and son Henerie Furnace. Witnesses William Furnace and others. Inventory
£44 : 13 : 4. :

The original burial image for Christian Furneaux in 1603 in Paignton states that she was a "Widow."

What I am trying to work out is if the Henry Furneaux of the will written in 1587/88 was actually a grandfather of my William Furneaux baptised in 1579.
But the only marriage I can find for Henry Furneaux before 1579 around Paignton is Henry Furneaux and Christian in 1565. And the older will of Henry does not mention William Furneaux.

The "Visitation of England and Wales Notes: Volume 6 1906: Pedigree of Furneaux, Vol 6. p 34": Shows the William baptised in 1579 to be the son of the Henry of the will dated 19th of September 1625. And this Henry's wife died before him:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=2JY5M_pcdvQC&pg=PA92&lpg=PA92&dq=John+Dolbeare+will+1642&source=bl&ots=fJmeaFH7Yy&sig=x84MlDKg22coJ0JPTastr3Vr9xw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZiIyK0O7bAhWjDMAKHYs4CsUQ6AEIJzAA#v=onepage&q=John%20Dolbeare%20will%201642&f=false

It also shows William's brother as John. But I can't find a baptism for a "John, son of Henry Furneaux." Or  a burial in Paignton before 1625 for a: "Wife of Henry Fernaux" either.

I apologise for waffling on here. If anyone has any information at all it would be gratefully accepted.

Thank you very much.

:) ;)

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Furneaux baptised 1579, Paignton: Son of Henry Furneaux
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 June 18 21:54 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the Guild of One Name Studies website, https://one-name.org/
There is a Furneaux one name study.
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 June 18 22:00 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the Guild of One Name Studies website, https://one-name.org/
There is a Furneaux one name study.

No, I haven't looked at that. Thank you.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 June 18 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hello There,

I have now been able to resolve which Henry was which, and who was the father of my William, with help from someone on "Ancestry", and looking through parish registers of Paignton at the Library:

My William born 1579 was the son of the Henry Fernaux the elder who made his Will in 1625.
Henry's wife, according to this Henry's will had died before him.
Her name was Cicely, and she was buried on the 25th of July 1614, in Paignton. There was a Cicely Furneaux buried in 1618 in Paignton, but that one was wife of a John, not Henry. This is on the "Devon Burials" image on Find My Past:
" Cicely w (Wife) of Henry Furneaux sen." Henry was named: "Henry Fernaux sen", because he had a son called Henry in 1584.

Henry Fernaux senior, was also a son of a Henry Fernaux. He is estimated to have been born in Paignton, possibly around 1550, or at least before the parish registers of Paignton began in 1559.
As I said previously, this Henry father of William married a Cicely at some point. I haven't been able to find a record of a marriage. But William was baptised 1579 in Paignton, so may have been before then.

The Henry Fernaux, possibly born 1550 was a son of a Henry Fernaux and a "Joan/ Johan."
This Joan/ Johan was buried on the 29th of August 1564 in Paignton:
From the original register on Find My Past (Devon Burials): “Joan W (wife of ) Henry Furneis (Furneaux).”
There was a Joan, wife of Henry who was buried 1568 in Paignton. But this must have been a different Henry. That is because in Henry's will he mentions: "Christian, his wife", as sole Executrix, and some of his children. Henry Fernaux married Christian (surname unknown), on the 19th of May 1565, in Paignton.
With Joan, Henry had these Children:
Henry and John were born before the registers began in 1559. There was possibly a Matthew in 1560. Robert was baptised in 1563.

He married Christian on the 19th of May 1565. With Christian he had:
Joan/ Johan - baptised the 19 of Apr 1566 in Paignton. This daughter was not actually baptised with a name. But from Henry's will dated 1587 he mentions: "my daughter Johan." Johan is also mentioned in Henry's widow's will dated 1603, as Christain's daughter: "my daughter Johan Yenning."

This Henry's year of birth has been estimated to have been around 1530. He was buried on the 16th of February 1587 in Paignton.
His widow Christian was buried in Paignton, on the 10th of January 1603. From "Devon Burials" on Find My Past:
"Christian Furnis, (Furneaux) Wid."

There are some trees on Ancestry that have the grandfather of the Henry born 1530, as Thomas Fernaux. This Thomas was a Vicar of Ashburton church, and he died in 1517 in Ashburton. The trees are based on a book written in 1933, by William Hamlyn, who researched these Furneaux's.
There is apparantely a Plaque in Ashburton church that states he was a Knight: "Sir Thomas Fernaux.":

"Notes from Hamlyn: The next records are at Ashburton, where, as several authorities suggest, a descendant of the Fenottery line may have gone, a probability enhanced by the Thomas of Ashburton being a Knight.   There is a family legend that there was a  Furneaux family at South Brent in 1515."
This Sir Thomas was apparantely Vicar from 1493-1517. He is listed in the Church Wardens accounts of Ashburton.

I put all of this up here because I thought it may have been of interest to some people.  :)

Thank you very much.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline RipleyAnne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 06:09 BST (UK) »
Hi RobinRedBreast,

I have just come upon your thread while searching. I realise your posts are just on 2 years old but hope you might still get this.

We are obviously very distantly related because William (b 1579) was also my 10x great-grandfather. I was very interested to read your discoveries and hope you don't mind if I add the dates you have listed to my tree.

Well done on untangling the 'who's who' of people with the same name!

I don't know where you are but I am in Australia so we Furneaux descendants have, no doubt, spread out across the world.

Regards,
Sandra

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi RobinRedBreast,

I have just come upon your thread while searching. I realise your posts are just on 2 years old but hope you might still get this.

We are obviously very distantly related because William (b 1579) was also my 10x great-grandfather. I was very interested to read your discoveries and hope you don't mind if I add the dates you have listed to my tree.

Well done on untangling the 'who's who' of people with the same name!

I don't know where you are but I am in Australia so we Furneaux descendants have, no doubt, spread out across the world.

Regards,
Sandra

Hello there,

No I don't mind at all!  :)
I have had a lot of help on Ancestry.co.uk from a distant relative who also has these same people in their tree.  ;)
I'm sure you have heard of the English Navigator and Royal Navy Officer Tobias Furneaux ( 1735 - 1781). His biography is here on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobias_Furneaux

The great grandfather of Tobias was John Furneaux (1626 - 1690).
John was a brother of my 9x great grandfather Christopher Furneaux (1634 - 1701).
He was a son of Christopher Furneaux (1600 - 1641), and his wife Sybil Dolbeare (baptised 23rd of January 1604 at Ashburton).
Christopher senior was baptised at Paignton on the 24th of January. "Devon Baptisms" on find my past use the old style date of 1600, which I have used in my tree.  This visitation here showing him in the Pedigree of Furneaux's uses the new style date of 1601. It also states that he was a Vicar, went to Oxford University, and his father in-law John Dolbeare was also a Vicar:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=2JY5M_pcdvQC&pg=PA92&lpg=PA92&dq=John+Dolbeare+will+1642&source=bl&ots=fJmeaFH7Yy&sig=x84MlDKg22coJ0JPTastr3Vr9xw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZiIyK0O7bAhWjDMAKHYs4CsUQ6AEIJzAA#v=onepage&q=John%20Dolbeare%20will%201642&f=false

Christopher junior married Mary "Maria" Chaffe, at Buckfastleigh in Devon on the 13th of May 1656.
Sybil Furneaux daughter of Christopher junior is my most recent Furneaux ancestor. She was baptised in 1678 at Buckfastleigh.
From there my surnames go through Honeywell, Martin, and then Ash to connect up with my father's and my surname of Ebdon. Blanche Ash (1873 - 1954), was a 4x great granddaughter of Sybil Furneaux. She married Edward Thomas Ebdon in 1897 at Camberwell.

I live in England, near Lincoln. 
Thank you. :) ;)

Offline RipleyAnne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 01:45 BST (UK) »

My line also descends from Christopher and Mary (nee Chaffe). Their son, Samuel (married Elizabeth Honniwell) - then their son Samuel (married Ann Colton) - then their daughter Margaret who married Nicholas GIDLEY in 1756.

I haven't heard of Tobias Furneaux but will now have a read of the Wikipedia entry you sent.

Thanks again

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 09:57 BST (UK) »

My line also descends from Christopher and Mary (nee Chaffe). Their son, Samuel (married Elizabeth Honniwell) - then their son Samuel (married Ann Colton) - then their daughter Margaret who married Nicholas GIDLEY in 1756.

I haven't heard of Tobias Furneaux but will now have a read of the Wikipedia entry you sent.

Thanks again

Hello There,

There may POSSIBLY be a "double link" to the Furneaux's via the Honey/Honniwell's:
My 8x great grandmother Sybil Furneaux (b.1678), married Daniel Honeywell at Buckfastleigh, on the 30th of May 1699. So there may at least be a possibility that Elizabeth and Daniel were siblings.
I have Daniel's father in my tree as being baptised in 1639 at Buckfastleigh.

I came across a 1698 Census here of Buckfastleigh.
In section F140, it shows Christopher Furneaux and Mary (nee Chaffe), his wife and family. Christopher and Mary's ages have been rounded up to 70 in that Census, or at least transcribed as that. "Sibell" is listed as age 21. Her age is correct and this was a year before she married Daniel Honeywell junior. Sybil was Christopher and Mary's youngest daughter. They had children baptised in Buckfastleigh between 1656 - 1678. Christopher Furneaux was baptised in 1634 at Buckfastleigh. Mary "Maria" Chaffe was baptised a year later there. They married at Buckfastleigh on the 13th of May 1656. So Mary, Sybil's mother would have been around 43 when Sybil was born.
In that same section of the 1698 census, Samuel Furneaux, and Elizabeth his wife are listed. There is also an Elizabeth Furneaux age 2.
Now I'm not entirely sure who Daniel Honeywell's mother was. But I have his father Daniel, as being baptised on the 20th of April 1639 in Buckfastleigh.
Also on the left hand side of the F140 1698 census of Buckfastleigh, near the bottom is:
 "Daniell Hunnywell (put down as age 54), Joane his wife (52), and Daniell Hunnywell (age 20)."
I am fairly confident that the Daniel "Hunnywell" listed as age 20, was the same Daniel who was baptised on the 1st of April 1677 in Buckfastleigh, who married Sybil Furneaux there in 1699. The father's name of Daniel was listed in the baptism register. But no mother's name was put down. Now it could be that "Joane" was Daniel Honeywell senior's second wife, but I am not sure.
In relation to Daniel Honeywell senior's age on the 1698 census transcription has been put down as being aged 54. However, his real age may actually have been 59 at this time. There appears to be no baptism for a Daniel Honeywell for around 1644, and only one in Buckfastleigh for 1639.

Here is the 1698 Census of Buckfastleigh. There are also more Furneaux's on there than I previously mentioned:
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/Buckfastleigh/Buckfastleigh1698

From a database search result via Find My Past: "Daniel Honeywell Sen" was buried in 1714 at Buckfastleigh.

Just as a side note:

Christopher Furneaux who married Mary "Maria" Chaffe in 1656, had a sister named Edith Furneaux, who was baptised on the 27th of February 1638 at Buckfastleigh.
In the same year that Christoper married Mary Chaffe, and also at Buckfastleigh (I don't know the actual date because it isn't given on the source transcriptions I have seen), Edith Furneaux was married to Mary Chaffe's brother Peter (who was baptised 1629 in Buckfastleigh). I don't want to confuse things even more than I probably already have done, haha! But I thought I might mention this just for interest.  :D

Thank you.  :) ;)