Author Topic: John Davis born abt 1820 son of James Davis Spelsbury parish?  (Read 3610 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: John Davis born abt 1820 son of James Davis Spelsbury parish?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 02:14 BST (UK) »
Ancestry has UK Poll Books and Electoral Registers.

Kingham Parish 1852
John DAVIS, abode Kingham, Freehold Land, Himself.

There is a death for John DAVIS, aged 50, registered Second Quarter of 1870,  Oxford, GRO 3A page 401.

Can you please provide name/date of the newspaper cutting from 1844 that you mention in your opening post...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 04:39 BST (UK) »
majm

The clip is from the Oxford Journal Sep 28 1844, pg 2, column3, paragraph 3 entitled Servants and Labourers. The entry is 7 lines up from bottom of paragraph.

The 1852 John Davis of Kingham is the 1768-1852 person who is related to a Churchill family of well to do Davis's.
okkool

People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 04:44 BST (UK) »
1841 census  :)   :)

I cannot find him at Kingham in 1841.  Can you please give the HO reference no for that OR the family search link.  Thanks,

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 04:53 BST (UK) »
majm
I think we are looking at the same census. HO 107/878/7

Described as "all that part of the parish of Churchill lying to the north and east of the carriage road leading from Kingham to Sarsden"
People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 05:12 BST (UK) »
majm
I think we are looking at the same census. HO 107/878/7

Described as "all that part of the parish of Churchill lying to the north and east of the carriage road leading from Kingham to Sarsden"

So, NOT at Kingham  :)  more to follow

ADD   in District 21... as in Oxfordshire, with civil parish as Churchill

Sarah Eader, 85, yes (born in county)
Thomas Rooke, 80, Ag Lab, yes
Thomas Beyan 50, Ag Lab, yes
Thomas Bauldue 20, Age Lab, Yes
John Davis 20, Blacksmith, Yes

Agh, Straight St, Churchill

John DAVIS, 20, Blacksmith, Yes (of the County).
HO 107/878/7

Last entry before Duckend…

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7Q6-4V6

Some thoughts ...

:) So how is this blacksmith confirmed as the chap who came to Australia per Elizabeth in 1845 ....
 :) is there a family connection between this blacksmith and the other members of that household ...
 :) there's several miles between Kingham and Churchill ... and in the 1841 census, they are enumerated as though they are separate districts.   

:)    JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 05:17 BST (UK) »
Jackson’s Oxford Journal Saturday September 28, 1844 …

Stow & Chipping-Norton Agricultural Association

Servants and Labourers – Society’s Premiums … To the labourers or their widows who have placed out the greatest number of their family with the least assistance from the parish … first, 3l,; second, 2l; third, 1l. ,,,,

many names follow, including

James DAVIS, recommended by T.B. EVANS, Esq. Dean, 22 years’ service. 1l,

(I believe 1l to be one shilling).

I am certain the newspaper has T.B. EVANS,  I cannot see the T as a J and I cannot find any mention of James Browne Evans in that issue of the newspaper in connection with James Davis.

With the surname of DAVIS (and possible variations) it can be very important in following up clues to be pedantic with any sightings.   Even in Sydney NSW pre the gold rushes (so late 1840s)  I can find several blacksmiths named John DAVIS in the very small geographical area of the CBD.  To work through to find your chap's DAD needs patience, thoroughness and careful transcriptions...  :)

JM

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 15:34 BST (UK) »
majm

I stand corrected. Thomas not James Browne Evans.

(Too much late evening typing I presume)

I did manage to get John's death certificate of 1901. It is John Benjamin Davis age 83 son of James Moss Aaron Davis and Hannah Brown.

On John's arrival in Australia he served a years service as a general servant as per the assisted immigrant program. By 1851 he was named chief constable of Woolongong. A position he served for many years.

okkool

okkool

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 02:56 BST (UK) »
So you are seeking a baptism for a baby boy born circa 1818 in Oxfordshire, given names of John Benjamin,  a son of James Moss Aaron DAVIS and his wife, Hannah nee BROWN … 

May I share some thoughts…

:) Wollongong is around 230 miles from Molong, and there’s several Police Districts between them too.   I am concerned that you have him at Wollongong as Chief Constable from 1851 for many years…   I think they went to Molong and were stationed there for many years before returning to Wollongong in the mid 1860s….

:) I see a marriage at St Michael’s, Wollongong, (CofE) by special license, 18th August, 1852, Rev M.D. MEARS … Mr John DAVIS to Miss Sarah Emily, eldest daughter of Mr William ORGAN, late of H.M. 28TH Regiment Foot.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/59775198  Bells Life 28 Aug 1852
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/12939425  SMH 23 Aug 1852
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTC2-ML8  : 10 February 2018 FHL 993964 (Batch M31026-3)

BUT,    :)  :)  :) but ...  after marriage,  and birth of Maria Jane, I see John and Sarah Emily well away from Wollongong for many years, perhaps not back residing in Wollongong until mid 1860s … as births to the couple were registered Wollongong district from about 1864…

Maria Jane, born 11 Oct 1852,  daughter of John & Sarah Emily DAVIS, of Harbour St, Wollongong, (he as Chief Constable), was baptised December 5, 1852, St Michael’s Wollongong

I see a baby born 10 April 1855, Eliza Best, daughter of John and Sarah Emily DAVIS, baptised Wellington 24 June 1855.  (Wellington and Molong Police Districts adjoin each other)
NSW BDM online index has this as Volume 42A, line 1764, of 1855.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTHN-WMN   11 February 2018
993965 / C21026-4

Bathurst Free Press 29 Nov 1862
At the Railway Hotel on Friday 28th November of Croup and Diptheria, Hannah Louisa Organ DAVIS, third daughter of John and Sarah Emily DAVIS, late of Molong.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/62720694

:)  :) Also, despite much reading, cross referencing etc ... I have not found John’s middle name of Benjamin recorded anywhere in my offline resources, … sorry, I have a great deal of NSW family history, particularly C of E, but not everything ...   :)  :)  :)   BUT …..  I can see Sarah E, Sarah Emily with John, but just NOT with John B or John Benjamin…

On the other hand … ::)
a birth registered in  1868, in Wollongong District for a William J B, son of John and Sarah E DAVIS, #18219 … likely leads to
NSW ER 1902 ILLAWARRA,  polling at Wollongong
William James Belmore DAVIS, Denison St, a carter

And again on that other hand

NOW I MENTION that the electoral rolls, like many other official records from that colonial era, contain spelling errors, often because the information was given verbally, and recorded with best endeavours, but not by people who needed to be excellent spellers, so on same page as William James Belmore DAVIS (NSW ER 1902, ILLAWARRA, polling Wollongong -  1902 was first NSW roll to include females.  Ancestry has 1903-4 roll.)
Sarah Emily DAVIES, Denison St, domestic duties
Alfred John DAVIES, Denison St, labourer
Isabel Annie DAVIES, Denison St, domestic duties

Yes, Denison St was and still is a longish street.

OF COURSE, the electoral rolls from that era do not include house numbers or house names, and of course don’t give marital status, so I am simply speculating that perhaps you may be interested in the DAVIES v DAVIS consideration, as there’s a birth for Alfred J A, son of John & Sarah E, DAVIS registered 1871, Wollongong District.  #19590.

Good luck with James Moss Aaron DAVIS, that combination of given names should give identifying info for your quest.

JM

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 04:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks For the research Majm

According to the family, John had a total of 11 children of which 7 lived beyond infanthood. You have mentioned several of the children in your research as well as his wife. His middle name was referenced in his 1901 death notice in the Wollongong papers, but most often referred to as J B Davis later in life. In all early references to his work in the bush as constable he is only referred to as John Davis.

The William J B Davis you mention was actually William John "Boulanger" Davis another son.
okkool