Author Topic: Visiting ScotlandsPeople Centre in Edinburgh? And NRS.  (Read 2642 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Visiting ScotlandsPeople Centre in Edinburgh? And NRS.
« on: Monday 25 June 18 09:59 BST (UK) »
Woo hoo!  I'm going to Scotland in August for a family reunion!!

From the ScotlandsPeople website it looks like I can just use my current registration to book a place.  Is it really 25p per page to save to my account, or have I misunderstood?

There's also a few records on the NRS index that I'd like to see, but I'm wondering about getting a Reader's ticket.  Would there be any problem with having a foreign address?
https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/visit-us/historical-search-room/readers-ticket

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting ScotlandsPeople Centre in Edinburgh? And NRS.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 June 18 12:42 BST (UK) »
Sorry you have to pay the same at SPC as at home to save an image to your account. The good news is that you can print the image for 25p - so much for the paperless office! The main problem with printing is the 1855 entries and the 1911 census because of their size.

Eric

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 June 18 13:24 BST (UK) »
August can be a very busy month at SP so I would book your place as soon as you have a date. Personally, I prefer the Adam Dome as it is cooler and quieter.
You use your existing log in details at the centre and the staff are very helpful should you have any queries.

The 25p charge to save/print a record is very reasonable. The equivilent of 1 credit compared to 6 credits when doing online at home.

Really don't know anything about the readers ticket so perhaps you could email them in advance for further information considering you live abroad.

Enjoy your visit and Edinburgh.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 June 18 19:05 BST (UK) »
There's also a few records on the NRS index that I'd like to see, but I'm wondering about getting a Reader's ticket.  Would there be any problem with having a foreign address?
https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/visit-us/historical-search-room/readers-ticket
No, because I know lots of people with non-UK addresses who have had tickets. Just make sure you comply with all the rules about ID, and there shouldn't ba a problem.

However you need to order some things in advance, and I don't think you can do this online without already having a reader's ticket. So e-mail them well in advance, say you will coming in on such-and-such a date, and you would like to see the following items, then list all the catalogue numbers. They should then have them ready for when you arrive.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 06:49 BST (UK) »
My visit is imminent! 

What is the method for paying to print records please?

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 09:27 BST (UK) »
You can use cash or most debit/credit cards.

If you fancy a break please use their little café it serves soup, filled rolls, scones etc at reasonable prices. Also tea, coffee and soft drinks.

Enjoy your visit to Edinburgh and the family reunion.

Best wishes

Dorrie (Edinburgh)
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 18:02 BST (UK) »
The thing I love about printing the image off is that the are usually 3 to a page post 1855 and a whole page of a pre 1855 church register so you learn a social history of the people in the area.

Have fun

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 18:33 BST (UK) »
Yes oldfashionedgirl it is great how many records you get on one page.

Pre 1855 I found an ancestor's birth/baptism recorded on the same image as his future wife. Saved me money - two for the price of one.

Post 1855 I found an ancestor had a twin sister born a few hours after her. Unfortunately the baby only lived a short time. Would never have known this had it not been for the 3 to a page. This wee baby girl is in our family tree.

These are examples of what you can find if you look closely at the records.

Dorrie

Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 August 18 07:52 BST (UK) »
I'm here and I must say Edinburgh was buzzing last night.  Off to the Adam Dome (thank you for the advice dowdstree) this lovely sunny morning. 

It's drier than Fort William was in the last couple of days but the people there were so warm and friendly and I've had some hilarious conversations.  They're very good at helping people who have lost their bearings (the sun being in the south confuses me - mind you it was quite cloudy).  I had a nice morning tea of roadside blackberries near Corpach yesterday as I walked to the old church at Kilmallie, and a perfect view of the steam train.

Having been to the Highland museum in Fort William I've realised that in spite of time constraints I am going to have to squeeze a bit more into my family history talk on Sunday night to include a bit about a ancestor's brother who was involved in suppressing the Jacobite uprising and didn't go about it very nicely.   

Sorry to turn this into a travel blog, but I'm so excited!

I don't suppose there is access to the internet at ScotlandsPeople?