Author Topic: 1851 census - Garddrafon (street name in Carnarvon) - where is this today?  (Read 779 times)

Offline Jules1066

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Garddrafon, or Gardrafon, or Gard Rafon appears in the 1851 Census of Carnarvon. The street/area is also referred to in newspaper articles about the Cholera outbreak of 1866…

Can someone please tell me where this street / area may have been in Carnarvon?

Same applies to Henwaliau Uchaf, again in the West Ward of Carnarvon. Roughly translated this might have meant Old Welsh Hill?

Thanks

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census - Garddrafon (street name in Carnarvon) - where is this today?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 June 18 12:45 BST (UK) »

Same applies to Henwaliau Uchaf, again in the West Ward of Carnarvon. Roughly translated this might have meant Old Welsh Hill?

Thanks

Pesonally I;d translate it roughly as Upper Old Walls - which to me suggests a connection with the old town walls?

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 June 18 16:16 BST (UK) »
I notice that in the 1871 Census the next streets after Garddrafon are Mill Lane and Tan y bont. I believe Tan y bont is now known as Greengate Street and runs from the Maes (Castle Square) to Bank Quay, parallel with the outside of the City walls. Mill lane still exists and runs off Greengate Street round to Stryd y Porth Mawr. My guess is that Garddrafon was that area now covered by Tan y bont car park adjacent to Mill Lane and Greengate Street.

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 June 18 17:33 BST (UK) »
There are undoubtely many old maps of Caernavon available for a fee but this (free) link might help:
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=53.1061&lon=-4.2383&layers=6&b=7.

I'm not a Welsh speaker but the best translation of Garddafon (or perhaps Gardd-yr-afon) I can guess at is 'garden of (the) Afon. The mouth of the river Afon is at Caernarvon but the river continues a long way through Snowdonia into mid-Wales.

From the name, I wonder whether the street is not in the city of Caernavon at all but in one of the towns and villages in along the river in Caernavonshire.

Just a thought.
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline Jules1066

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 June 18 19:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your kind responses. The parish was Lanbeblig, West Ward, so it makes sense the areas were near the castle walls.
The area was badly affected by the 1866 Cholera outbreak and the old housing stock may have been torn down since then.