Author Topic: Hercules Hastings - Burford, Oxfordshire. Died 1731  (Read 1973 times)

Offline forthekids

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hercules Hastings - Burford, Oxfordshire. Died 1731
« on: Tuesday 26 June 18 03:43 BST (UK) »
Looking for help finding a birth record for HERCULES HASTINGS.  Hercules died March 1731 in Burford.  His 4 daughters born between 1699 and 1706 were also born in Burford. No other Hastings baptized in Burford from 1630 through to 1690 (I checked the parish register line by line) so it is clear that he is from somewhere else.
 Another Hercules Hastings, connected to the family in Daylesford, was well renowned for his clock-making.  He was in Burford for many years and famously created the church clock.  He was born 1598.  Given the similar, unusual name, and the connection to Burford, I feel certain that they are related but a generation or two apart. 
There has been a lot of work done in various Ancestry trees connecting the Daylesford Hastings back to William the Conquerer.  I haven’t validated any of that yet but for obvious reasons would like to connect my Hercules to the family if I can.  Try as I might though, I can find no baptism anywhere for my Hercules. 
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hercules Hastings - Burford, Oxfordshire. Died 1731
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 07:45 BST (UK) »
In my family Archeleous is used as an alternative for Hercules.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
There's a couple of wills on Ancestry for a Hercules Hastings in 1635 & 1640. A bit before your Hercules was probably born but may mention other family members which could be followed up.
You might consider that Hercules may not be the name he was born with.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline forthekids

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 23:35 BST (UK) »
I have also posted on the Oxfordshire Family History Face Book Page, and mistakenly on the new member board of Roots Chat, just in case you're wondering if you've already seen it.

Looking for help finding a birth record for HERCULES HASTINGS. Hercules died March 1731 in Burford. His 4 daughters born between 1699 and 1706 were also born in Burford. No other Hastings baptized in Burford from 1630 through to 1690 (I checked the parish register line by line) so it is clear that he is from somewhere else.
Another Hercules Hastings, connected to the family in Daylesford, was well renowned for his clock-making. He was in Burford for many years and famously created the church clock. He was born 1598. Given the similar, unusual name, and the connection to Burford, I feel certain that they are related but a generation or two apart.
There has been a lot of work done in various Ancestry trees connecting the Daylesford Hastings back to William the Conquerer. I haven’t validated any of that yet but for obvious reasons would like to connect my Hercules to the family if I can. Try as I might though, I can find no baptism anywhere for my Hercules.

Tax roles indicate that the elder Hercules paid taxes in Surrey, Berkshire and Oxfordshire over the years and he was buried in Daylesford.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 08:26 BST (UK) »
The Moderators will always move a post if you post in the wrong place.  You just need to use the report to moderator and ask them  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk