Author Topic: Workhouse or Asylum body not claimed so sent to medical school  (Read 4021 times)

Offline jane gee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Workhouse or Asylum body not claimed so sent to medical school
« on: Tuesday 26 June 18 17:18 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find where to put this and would love to share this topic which I wonder how many people have come across.  I have a relative who was transferred around 1908 to Bexley Heath Dartford Asylum.  She died there in 1912 and in the burial column it said medical.  I have her records from the Asylum and could find no burial (so far)  I decided to google to see what books were available on the subject and came across Dr Elizabeth Hurrans "Dying for Victorian Medicine"  What a find this was it is a very informative and well balanced book a must read to get your head around what happened in well into the last century if no one claimed a body after they died in the Workhouse or Asylum.  Shocking comes to mind but also tempered with a bit of understanding.  Where my relative  ended up is anyone's guess but this is where more research is needed the search goes on.  I was told to leave this alone  by another forum why should I!

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Workhouse or Asylum body not claimed so sent to medical school
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 21:03 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=680199.0

Although this is a case in Dublin,  it may be of interest.
 "AS" stood for Anatomical Subject.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 22:43 BST (UK) »
It could be that the burial would have to be paid for out of Asylum funds or else what was known as “The Parish”.
To send the body for disection would cost nothing.
It seems a shame but at least the deceased person benefitted Medical Science and so take some pride in that,I am sure  you feel they deserve some respect for that even though it was not their choice.
What an  interesting find.
                                       Viktoria.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 22:51 BST (UK) »
I would agree with you, I find it shocking and only 100yrs ago, however like you understandable.
I have never found a direct ancestor who died in the workhouse/asylum so not extensively researched their records.

Thank you for posting as this is new to me.... and we learn something new every day.......... I am with you, if I found this I would want to research it ::)
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 23:00 BST (UK) »
Until the law was changed comparatively recently, it was my understanding that bodies of murderers and bodies of those who died in teaching hospitals could be used for medical research.  I wonder if some asylums had teaching facilities.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 23:53 BST (UK) »
There was Burke and Hare in Scotland, One a scientist/Dr who did the research, and the other did the grave-robbing, and some murders!

Yes a horrific dreadful thing to do, but thank goodness that Medical Science has come a long long way since then, with a lot of people nowadays donating their blood and/or body parts to living people, such as the various transplants that are able to be done or for the scientific research.
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 06:23 BST (UK) »
I have come across some information on this issue but have not kept references so I shall depend on my memory.  I was searching through some undertakers' records for the 1880s and came across some references for bodies from Asylums were to go to  medical schools.  Some others were buried in cemeteries attached to the Asylum (eg my convict ancestor died in Tarban Creek Asylum, Parramatta, Sydney, OZ and was buried in the attached cemetery)

My father's cousin died in 1953 and no parents were listed on his Queensland burial index.  He was buried a fortnight after his death in a pauper's grave.  Information from his cemetery record indicated he had been in an asylum and no next of kin could be located.  (sad family story including in hindsight, probable PTSD from WW1 injuries)

Quite recently in Queensland,  a body had been held in a mortuary for a long time.  NOK had been found and notified of their responsibility for burial but had not acted despite all efforts.  The matter has been taken to court and the State was given permission to bury the body in a pauper's grave.

Some time ago now, I remember reading about how a medical school respected the bodies willed to them.  They conduct memorial ceremonies with the knowledge of the living next of kin.
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey

Offline jane gee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 06:49 BST (UK) »
I think I had certain ideas about this subject all be it sketchy however having read this book I can assure anyone that not only does it deal with the "trade" between medical schools and the workhouse and asylums it also talks about the real poverty of the poor and how it extreme circumstances bodies were sold to the medical school in order for them to continue to cover their own means of feeding themselves and their families. So far as I can see no Asylum or Workhouse had their own medical school.  Some of it makes uncomfortable reading and there are one or 2 photographs within the book of dissecting rooms.  My husband was "treated" to being read out aloud certain passages which shocked me and bless him having a discussion around the subject albeit on holiday.   I am so so glad I found this and read it with fascination and horror in equal measure.  I wish someone would cover this subject in a tv programme with less "Burke and Hare" and more these are the facts not always using "body snatchers"  A must read for a good foundation of family history.

Offline jane gee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 06:52 BST (UK) »
It could be that the burial would have to be paid for out of Asylum funds or else what was known as “The Parish”.
To send the body for disection would cost nothing.
It seems a shame but at least the deceased person benefitted Medical Science and so take some pride in that,I am sure  you feel they deserve some respect for that even though it was not their choice.
What an  interesting find.
                                       Viktoria.