Author Topic: Eve Karslake & James Craven  (Read 3324 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Eve Karslake & James Craven
« Reply #18 on: Friday 29 June 18 06:53 BST (UK) »
Honestly Ros.  Stop creating issues on the board.  Not necessary.

James CRAVEN's headstone in the Utukurra Cemetery at Geraldton.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 29 June 18 07:45 BST (UK) »
I can't access further info as it requires a subscription.

J. Craven
Military Year 1943
Regiment    Indian Army
Rank    2nd Lieutenant

Cando

Subscription or member of the Church of LDS to see image?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 29 June 18 08:01 BST (UK) »
Further info about Enoch CRAVEN (father of other James CRAVEN), here is an obit to Elizabeth SHARRETT who was sister to Enoch and Alfred CRAVEN, also born in Liverpool, England.   It gives quite a bit of family info among the mourners etc,

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article83510728

Ros

adding from W.A. BDM 
Death 1964 Alfred CRAVEN, father unknown, mother Sarah, at Perth, reg# 1657
Death  1930 Elizabeth SHARRETT, father unknown, mother unknown, at Perth, reg# 1027

Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 29 June 18 08:23 BST (UK) »
I can't access further info as it requires a subscription.

J. Craven
Military Year 1943
Regiment    Indian Army
Rank    2nd Lieutenant

Cando

Subscription or member of the Church of LDS to see image?

Sue

Sue it's Ancestry.com to which I have a world sub but one needs to pay extra to see the record.  I can't recall the name of the linked site now.

Cheers
Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 29 June 18 08:34 BST (UK) »
This suggests to me that James was born in England and his headstone at Geraldton has his dob as 19 Dec 1914.

http://www.pows-of-japan.net/guestbook2/guestbook.php
My late husband, James Craven, joined the British Army (Royal Army Medical Corps) in 1935. After serving in Britain and India he was later sent to Malaya and Singapore (commissioned into the RIASC). He was captured by the Japanese and sent to Changi. From there he went, in June 1942, to work on the Burma Railway. He actually volunteered thinking he could maybe have a better chance of escaping, and was in the first group to be sent to work on the railway. He recorded many of his trials, and those of the other POWs, enabling me to write about his war years. ("A Kind of Destiny" by Eve Karslake Craven - now out of print.) Thank you, Peter, for keeping this history alive.

We are not closer to finding the date of marriage for James and Eve and IF they married in WA it was possibly between 1966 and 1968 when they first appear on the electoral rolls.

Could we please stick to the topic and not research every other CRAVEN family which may nor may not be related.

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 29 June 18 08:43 BST (UK) »
A public tree for James CRAVEN details his wife as

Evelyn Mary HARRIS 1933–2012
Birth 13 May 1933  Woolacombe, Devon, England

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 29 June 18 08:53 BST (UK) »
Evelyn's parents detailed six years after her birth were John Karslake HARRIS born c1901 and Evelyn M HARRIS born c1910.

Cando

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 29 June 18 09:07 BST (UK) »
Chatters:  I had not realised when I asked what I thought was a reasonable question that it would cause such mayhem amongst you all...I did NOT intend for that.  First of all, I did make one small error, for which I apologize:  James served with the Indian Army Service Corps, obviously missing out those 2 words caused some amusement, but I know not why.  My question was, was there any information at all on the marriage of James and Eve(lyn) Karslake?  In my last post, I corrected myself about whether the 1944 marriage was his as he was imprisoned in Siam (Thailand) in 1943 and freedom prior to the end of the war  (?virtually impossible), emigration and marriage would have been too quick for it to be true. 

I am going to check with the Historial Society.  And thank you for the information regarding Evelyn's parentage, although it is a little outside of the family tree.  As far as the other Craven is concerned, they are not part of my family - or if they are, the gap is so wide as to be irrelevant.

apart from letting you kind people know whether I find out more from the Historical Society, I shall consider this topic closed - and thank you again for the assistance.

lydiaann
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 29 June 18 10:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your kind explanation.  May I note that I did not consider I was making any amusing comment, and I have not had an explanation as to why Ros considers that I thought it funny when I posted :

:)

.............  he was imprisoned ... by the Japanese while serving as a commissioned officer in the Indian Service; ....

JM

I wonder why JM thought this was funny  ???  Such a strange sense of humour ...  ???   It certainly wasn't funny to be imprisoned by the Japanese and as a commissioned officer in the Indian service he played an important and serious role in the War.

Why do you consider I thought it funny ...

JM  R2M

My older brother was born prior to WWII, I was born 1947, and the rest of my siblings are younger than me.  Changi will suffice as the explanation.   I have many contributions on the Armed Forces Board here at RChat.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.