Author Topic: sometimes the research is so very sad.....  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
sometimes the research is so very sad.....
« on: Wednesday 27 June 18 18:58 BST (UK) »
This came up today...

when searching for one of my Argyles.

xin

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: sometimes the research is so very sad.....
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 20:36 BST (UK) »
These things happened, Xin. No identity papers carried back then?

From Douglas, St George burial register:
3   Children                                                                                          18SEP1812
3 Sailors belonging to the "MINERVA"                                                          13JAN1810
A   Child                                                                                                  01JAN1814
A   Child                                                                                                  18APR1813
A   Child                                                                                                  24FEB1815
A   Child                                                                                                  26MAR1813
A   Child name unknown                                                                          29SEP1811
A sailor found at sea                                                                                  07OCT1812
A   sailor found on the shore                                                                  11FEB1816
A Sailor of the "CAROLINA"                                                                          17AUG1810
A   Shipwrecked Mariner                                                                          03OCT1811
A young lad ( Mariner )                                                                          04OCT1811
name unknown                                                                                          23JUN1827
Two Children                                                                                          28NOV1812
A man unknown washed up by the sea                                                          11JUN1848
A woman unknown washed up by the sea                                                  21MAY1823
Catharine                                                                                                  13OCT1802
Ten poor seamen wrecked on this coast belonging it is believed to the   
barque "JULIE of BRUFFE". Supposed to be Dutchmen were interred   
this day. Names & ages unknown.                                                           30NOV1838
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 20:45 BST (UK) »
ooooh that is awful

of course NO ID

that just reminded me of a TV programme --- some time back, when they were attempting to identify... someone who had jumped into the Thames...

~

xin

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 June 18 13:59 BST (UK) »
On my side, most of my ancestors worked for or with the Honourable East India Company.

One Charles William is recorded in the church register as having married "a native woman". She produced for him, four children, 2 boys and 2 girls. And each baptism she is recorded as "a native woman". 

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 June 18 14:35 BST (UK) »
Where my mother was born, it was alongside a river and they had the Workhouse there too, so the burial register contains some strangers who were destitute ... and river suicides .... and river drowning accidents of unknown people found drowned. 

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a magic wand that could stand over the graves ... and see through the earth and do a DNA test on all bodies to see "what was that then?"

My paternal line was by the sea and there were a lot of bodies washed up, as well as local kids drowned swimming in the sea. 

Yesterday I was reading a diary written by a man in ~1840-1850; he just wrote random items and local people events and movements... not expecting anybody to ever publish it 150 years later... and in there was a man who fell off his cart and got knocked by his load and the cart ran over his whole body - and his wife was on the cart, 7 months pregnant... when I double checked the burial registers there was an exact match for him, but the transcriber hadn't got his name right, so I must mention it to the OPC so they can update that entry if they care to.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 June 18 14:42 BST (UK) »
I remember coming across the burial of an unknown man passing through one village.

The clergyman had written a description of the chap in the register, even drawing the tattoo that he had on his forearm.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 June 18 16:51 BST (UK) »
interesting  replies  and comments

the DNA  magic wand  'bounce em out and check em out' idea would be lovely -- we could do that with some of our uncertainties.. 

Wasn't Gauguin married to a 'Native woman'  a vague memory from my studies..

That Clergyman, was ever hopeful then Andrew.   :)

I have one or two buried at sea / lost at sea.. in my own tree.

and a few travellers now. 

yes sad..

No doubt it wont be just the pet animals micro chipped when born soon.

xin

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 June 18 09:22 BST (UK) »
Xin, I have a Greatgrandfather who was buried at sea, in the 1870's  - cause of death on his certificate was Brain Inflammation due to SUNSTROKE!  First of all I though it read just "Stroke", but it was definitely Sunstroke!

I can't imagine how he would have got sunstroke when his ship was only only 10 days out from GRAVES END England - bound for Melbourne - IN MARCH??  I can't imagine that the sun be would be strong enough at that time of year! Here in NEW ZEALAND, YES, very possible, but in the Northern Hemisphere?? 

Sad really, as his wife had died not long before he left England to visit his sister, and his son and family were heading to the U.S.
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 June 18 11:43 BST (UK) »
that is sad

and as you say incomprehensible

xin

:-X