Author Topic: Woodhorn lookup  (Read 738 times)

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Woodhorn lookup
« on: Wednesday 27 June 18 23:14 BST (UK) »
If anyone is visiting Woodhorn i'd be grateful they could check these marriages in the PR for the details not recorded in the Bishops Transcripts.

All at Stannington

Jeremiah Davison and Margaret Grieve 26/05/1760

Jeremiah Davison and Margaret Immins 18/09/1774

Jeremiah Davison and Mary Ridley 17/03/1789

Thanks in advance
Jay

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Woodhorn lookup
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 23:18 BST (UK) »
If only you'd asked last night I could have had results today but I only go on Wednesdays.

If you can wait a week I'd be happy to look at these marriages for you

Christine

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine that would be great, thanks  :)

Jay

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 22:01 BST (UK) »
Here are your Stannington marriages - not a lot of information, I’m afraid, but that’s par for the course for the era.

26/5/1760  Jeremiah Davison and Margt. Grieve both of the parish, by banns.  Witnesses - Wm. Chambers and James Grieve

The interesting thing about this marriage is that on the same day with the same witnesses was the marriage of Jacob Grieve to Alice Todd.  And if that wasn’t enough, again on the same day, the marriage of James Grieve to Isabel Steel.  Witnesses Wm. Chambers and Jeremiah Davison!  Do you think they got a volume discount?

18/9/1774 Jeremiah Davison and Margaret Immins both of the parish by banns.  Witnesses George Thornton and Edward Gibson.  George Thornton was witness to other marriages therefore not likely to be directly connected to the couple.

17/3/1789 Jeremiah Davison and Mary Ridley both of the parish by banns.  Witnesses - Josh Green and Joseph ??   It was obvious that this last gentleman had practiced signing his name especially for the day but unfortunately as a consequence it was not readable.  I think it begins with Pu and possibly ends with lage (or variant) but the bit in the middle didn’t look like proper letters.

Hope this is of some use.

Christine

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 22:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Christine for looking them up & your time.

I had hoped there would be some helpful Davison witnesses and for the status of the second Jeremiah so I know if i'm looking at 2 or 3 individuals.

Jay

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 22:31 BST (UK) »
As both/all Jeremiahs stayed in the same parish then perhaps it's the burials we should be looking at to see whether the first Margaret died sometime before 1774.

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 July 18 19:00 BST (UK) »
There's no suitable burial for Margaret at Stannington pre 1774.

My problem is knowing which Jeremiah & Margaret are the parents of my Francis Davison baptised 1782 and if the 1760 and 1774 marriage are the same Jeremiah.

Baptised at Stannington there are

1 - Jeremiah son of Jeremiah 1735

2 - Jeremiah son of George 1754

3 - Jeremiah son of Jeremiah & Margaret 1763

The couple who married in 1774 are most likely his parents but it's equally possible the couple who married in 1760 are, then it's back to whether it's one Jeremiah married in 1760 and 1774.

Jay

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 July 18 21:57 BST (UK) »
Don't you just wish they had a bit more imagination when it came to names back then  :-\

But if they are going to repeat names in every generation are there any clues in the name Francis - did either Margaret have a father, brother, uncle with that name?  I'm sure you've already looked but I'm clutching at straws here  ???

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 July 18 01:01 BST (UK) »
I need to dig all my notes out on the Davison's and see what else I can come up with.

Jay