Author Topic: Gillett/Chislett wrong name written down on marriage certificate?  (Read 742 times)

Offline VivienR

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Gillett/Chislett wrong name written down on marriage certificate?
« on: Wednesday 27 June 18 23:56 BST (UK) »
I have a Joseph Chislett (b1850 Seavington St Mary) who married an Ellen/Eleanor (b1854 South Petherton) in 1872.  Marriage date is from the 1911 census. Joseph's father is James Chislett.  I can't find a marriage record for Joseph and Ellen/Eleanor.  I have found the family in all the censuses.

Yesterday I stumbled across a marriage record for Eleanor Baker and Joseph Gillett 1872 in South Petherton.  Joseph's father is given as James Gillett.  The original record says quite clearly the groom is Joseph Gillett. There's a couple of birth records for Joseph Gillett born about this time in Somerset but I can't find a Joseph and Ellen/Eleanor Gillett in any censuses.

I am pretty sure this must be the marriage record I have been looking for.  Given that both the groom and the bride could not read or write I can see how this could happen. Has anyone else run across the wrong name being written down.

Thanks

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Gillett/Chislett wrong name written down on marriage certificate?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 June 18 00:47 BST (UK) »
Do you know the occupation of the father of your Ellen/Eleanor GILLETT/CHISLETT ... perhaps he was a baker...  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 June 18 07:51 BST (UK) »
The CHISLETT baptisms to Joseph and Ellen/Eleanor match the GRO registrations with mother's maiden surname given as BAKER. The marriage shows Joseph as a labourer residing in South Petherton which also matches the baptisms so I would say it is the correct marriage.

The vicar just probably misheard the name.

Debra  :)

Offline VivienR

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 June 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
Do you know the occupation of the father of your Ellen/Eleanor GILLETT/CHISLETT ... perhaps he was a baker...  :)

JM

No father was a labourer not a baker.  :) I wonder how far back you would have to go to find the baker in the family tree.

Offline VivienR

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 June 18 18:58 BST (UK) »
The CHISLETT baptisms to Joseph and Ellen/Eleanor match the GRO registrations with mother's maiden surname given as BAKER. The marriage shows Joseph as a labourer residing in South Petherton which also matches the baptisms so I would say it is the correct marriage.

The vicar just probably misheard the name.

Debra  :)

Hi Debra
Thanks so much for that.  I haven't done much on my husband's English/Welsh side lately so I wasn't aware of the GRO records you could search online. That should keep me busy for a while.  Good thing it looks like it might rain today and possibly all week.

Regards
Vivien